Help

Forum >> Help >> How quickly is SI gained, on average?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
That's what I thought, but thought I'd ask. The question was prompted by this player, who I don't expect major things from but needed to fill a pitching hole in my minors and he was what the waver wire had on offer. If he sticks around for longer than a cup of coffee I'll be happy, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I'm cutting bate as soon as I find something that looks a little bit less misused.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The player you linked is a lost cause in my opinion. He was drafted round 10 with superlow SI and now at 22 yo his sum of pitching attributes is 9. Even if he reaches his potential (if he ever does) it will be at age of 28-29 at best, meaning he will have to play 2-3 years in the bigs posting double-digit ERA. Then he has one good season and his skills start to decline.

So, if I found this guy on my team, I'd save myself some pain and cut him.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Many players grow slowly until they reach 20 yo, and then grow more quickly. Some players grow very quickly when they get older as long as they have sufficient minor league training. In the middle they are usually pretty consistent, but while we look at them in 1/2 year data points, they grow week to week. So if you have a pitcher grow 4.5 points one year, and then pop in 3 categories the first week of training, he is really growing closer to 8 points in one year even though the data point only shows 4. So several factors to consider.

I'd agree about Heredia being a lost cause. He is growing very quickly, but I think he has too far to go.

Updated Tuesday, April 26 2016 @ 12:13:28 pm PDT
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Age/Best/Worst projection

End of each season:
22-23-24-25-26-27-28
31-43-55-70-84-98-caps in the 105-106 range
26-32-38-unplayable.

If you have nothing better to look at in your minors and have roster room, you can continue holding him until the end of 23, but he will be an unplayable 25 year old on a low projection. If he is playable, he's a 4-5 year quality talent, and you'll have to muscle through some iffy seasons before you get there.

This is my opinion, and i've had someone exceed the upper end projection with a 21 SI gain, but thats not something that doubles up two or three times, it's averaged out a bit.

Updated Tuesday, April 26 2016 @ 10:27:29 am PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I do agree with the consensus here, Heredia is a lost cause. Spending two months in free agency last season certainly didn't help him since he was already a fringe player with that SI at that age. If he had been on a roster for that time and gained a couple more SI I might feel differently.
Tom L

Chesterfield Musketeers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Is training influencing the development of SI? I use to change it from time to time according to players evolution, but does it have a real impact on players?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You mean the training focus? Yes, but the best way it has been described is that although all skills are trained, about 5% of the overall training that players get can be allocated through the focus.
Tom L

Chesterfield Musketeers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it is the training focus, where you define the primary and secondary training. So it influence for 5%?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
About that, yes. In other words, it has a small effect, but it does have an effect over time. Guys still will only grow to their potential, so if a guy has already hit his max in a skill you are basically wasting it. I think most veteran owners go with no focus most of the time as it is then distributed evenly among the skills.
Tom L

Chesterfield Musketeers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Alright! Thanks!

Previous Page | Show All |