Help

Forum >> Help >> Shortstop / 3B logjam   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi all.

I'm looking at my team and trying to figure out how ot set my lineup with the cup games starting tonight.

I currently have two 3B-trained players on my team: Dong Yul Kang and Leo Dyer.

Kang doesn't really have the fielding or arm to be my starter at 3B. Dyer is trained for 3B, but instead filled a gap at SS last season and won a Gold Glove there.

So, I've been toying with upgrading at both positions.

I picked up Hyung Il Park out of FA. Poor range, 13 fielding (w/ 'Amazing in the field' report) and 15 arm. Batting-wise, looks about on par with Kang, but has higher potential and is two years younger.

However, to bring him up to the majors, I need to send a position player down which leads to my logjam of Major League shortstops.

Dyer, as above, is my incumbent gold glove SS with the limp noodle arm. Tremendous fielding, but low range.

I picked up Daniel Medoza and Jesus Nieves off of waivers in the offseason.

Medoza is 30 and at his peak. His range is slightly worse than Dyers, and his fielding is significantly worse. However, he has a cannon of an arm. He'll be weaker offensively. I'm leaning towards letting him go.

Nieves is 27, but being 11 POT has likely just about reached his peak. 13 fielding, but 18 range and a 13 arm. Again, probably worse offensively than Dyer.

What should I do here? Do I replace Kang with Park at 3B?

Who would you place at Shortstop? Should I keep Dyer there, or replace him with a defensive upgrade?

Should Dyer just go to 3B, where his limited range won't be as much of a liability, but his weak arm strength might?

I'd love some advice.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd put Park at 3B.

Nieves certainly looks to be better SS defensively, but Dyer does have good offensive numbers. I'd probably stick with Dyer until you find something better.
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Kang looks like a 2B with his range but it maybe too late to retrain him.

Dyer again looks more like a 2B but again it seems too late to retrain him. With 17 fielding there is definitely a good case for leaving him at SS which is a key defensive position.

Park is more suited to 3B or catcher and is part trained for both.

Mendoza or Nieves could both do a job defensively but don't offer you Dyer's batting nor seem likely to develop.

Park and Dyer both seem worthy of a place in your line-up
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with crackit that Kang can be a 2B. Park would be good at 3B, but his range is too low. Medoza can be good at SS. Nieves doesn't have offensive potential, but can be a good defensive replacement. Dyer can play 2B, but it's too late to train Dyer and Yang.

All in all, keep Dyer at 3B since he has won a Gold Glove at that position and play Medoza at SS. Nieves can be a defensive backup for either Dyer or Medoza.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Range isn't important for 3B. Park has more than enough range to play the position.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the thoughts all.

I may leave Dyer at SS with his 17 fielding.

I'm not sure I want to move Kang to 2B as he would displace Hughes. Hughes has more offensive upside and much better fielding.

It sounds like my best bet is to put Park at 3B, Dyer at SS, release Medoza and keep Nieves as a defensive replacement / switch hitting bench bat.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hughes is in decline, so not really much upside there. However I agree its not worth retraining Kang and at least Hughes is a real 2B who can play the position.

I'd agree with all the moves you plan above.

Previous Page | Show All |