Help

Forum >> Help >> Defensive Outfield   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
el_jefe_loco

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have five guys rotating around the OF/1B/DH positions, and I would like some advise on the most ideal defensive positioning.

Player (pos) SPD-FLD-RNG-ARM
Jennings (OF 1b) 17-9-17-17
Schmidt (OF) 12-19-13-12
Wheeler (1B OF) 9-17-12-18
Quinlan (1B of) 17-13-15-6
Nava (OF) 10-17-10-10
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
schmidt LF
weeler RF
jennings CF
nava 1B
then the other DH
el_jefe_loco

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Wuggla. Two things I struggle with:

1) Is Jennings a legit CF option given that he is only 9 Fielding? Does range trump all at CF?

2) If range is so critical, isn't Quinlan (def ratings 13-15-6) better suited for the OF than Wheeler (17-12-18)?
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
In my mind the two most important defensive attributes for an OF would be range and arm. You want someone that can run down fly balls and someone that can gun out runners trying to take an extra base.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm having to learn a lot of this as well, but basicly what it comes down to is your better fielders should be along your infield. Range and arm play a role there as well (SS, for instance, needs decent fielding, range and arm ideally), but your overall better quality defenders will serve you better here.

Also useful: this thread.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Personally I don't put much value on fielding for my OF guys, range is the biggy although a big arm in right is a great asset. For me:

CF: Jennings (range + arm)
RF: Wheeler (borderline range but great arm)
LF: Quinlan (good range, arm matters less)
1B: Schmitt (fielding plus a little range)
DH: Nava (he'd be fine at 1B also)
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with JJNZ...

Jennings in CF is the easy choice as already stated - highest range + arm

Schmidt should be your 1B where fielding and ranger are important. Using him in the outfield would essentially waste his high fielding.

Wheeler is your RF - strong arm; kind of wasting his fielding but it is what it is.

Quinland in LF - not good enough of a fielder for the MI and good range for left field. His arm is less than ideal but arm is less important in LF than the other positions.

Nava @ DH - def. wasting his fielding here but his other two stats are no good for defense. 1B would be a possible option but his low range makes him a less than stellar option there.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
CF is the only OF position where I would consider fielding to be useful. I would actually consider it a hindrance in the corner (SI wasted). That said, Jennings has plenty of fielding for CF and optimal Range and Arm.

Most folks are going to give the node to Wheeler in RF because of this arm. I think range is the most important in the OF. Schmidt could be put in right, but the difference is so minimal, I think Wheeler is the better option (defensively at least).

LF could really be played by any of these guys (although Nava is obviously the inferior defensive option). Quinlan has the best range but kind of a weak arm. That's a trade-off that isn't easy to judge. It depends on your philosophy.

Again, any of these guys can play 1B. While Range is king in the outfield, Fielding has at least some minimal value at 1B. So if you put Quinlan in LF, then play Schmidt at 1B. If you put Schmidt in LF, play Nava at 1B. Again, anyone would do fine defensively at 1B.

Updated Thursday, April 14 2016 @ 5:23:23 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |