Help

Forum >> Help >> where would you use this guy?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Quite helpful, actually, and somewhat along the lines of what I thought. Now I just need to get a handle on where I can reasonably expect my draftees to end up re: the stats that actually change. This may end up taking more than 3-4 seasons. :)
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Check this thread out, particularly the second post (made by Rock).

I agree with Endrju, with the only difference that I prefer at least 16+ (instead of 14+) for those defensive skills listed for those positions.

Updated Friday, April 8 2016 @ 8:05:17 am PDT

Updated Friday, April 8 2016 @ 8:13:43 am PDT
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh my dear lord this is perfect. About to store this in 80 million places for reference.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with Endrju in general, except I wouldn't consider Arm to be valuable for 1B.

I also tend to weight the different skill slightly different for each position. But Endrju provides a reasonable general guideline.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Hugely appreciated. I've repositioned everyone who isn't a pitcher, going to be promoted because they've got to be better than what I have, or on their way out the door. Evans, Vascotto and Gomes are now training primarily for 3b. And because he seems to fit the profile, Lee exists as a ss. The only thing I might kick myself for later is Vasquez moving from 2b to c, but I figure I'll probably chalk that up to newbieness if it flops. And everything is entirely negotiable depending on what I end up getting after the flip. If I can manage to positively wrap my head around the system, I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to be addicted to this thing.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but I would highly recommend not promoting anyone early as it will stunt their growth. BTW, Evans isn't a great 3B, he is just too old to retrain and he already knows how to play 3B (capital 3B). He does have some 1B training (lowercase 1b). He will be recommended for promotion next year because all players are recommended when they turn 25. However, given he only has one year at AAA, you might consider leaving him in AAA for part of the year. During this time, I'd recommend training him at 1B. It never hurts to have multiple trained position (for flexibility), and really Evans should be a good defensive 1B.

Don't stress about your decision on Vásquez. He doesn't make a very good 2B with such low range. C is probably a good choice for him. Worst case, he may end up as a DH who can backup the Catcher.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The importance of Range:

Range is treated as an aggregate in this game. That means whether or not you get to a hit ball is determined at the team level. Your team has a certain calculated Range. Steve has never confirmed, but most of us believe that the Range calculation is weighted more for different positions. For instance (totally notional)

Team Range = (SS Range * 2.5) + (2B Range * 2) + (CF Range * 2) + (LF Range * 1.5) + (RF Range * 1.5) + (3B Range * 1) + (1B Range * 1) + (Catcher Range * 0.5) + (Pitcher Range * 0.5)

Again, totally notional, but its probably something kind of like that. For that reason its important to have good range at any position you think would need good range in real life. If your 2B has bad range, it doesn't just effect plays at 2B, it effects the whole team Range calculation.
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock, how can u say that?
so catchers range affects outfield flyballs?
in every play? even pitchers range?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, to an extent, because although the specific weights that Rock gave are (educated) guesses, Steve has confirmed that range is aggregate and that it is weighted by position. Thus even the most offensive minded owner won't completely ignore defensive skills if they want to survive in the upper leagues, and the most defensive minded owner won't completely ignore offense if they want to survive.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would reiterate that those are guesses that I wrote down. I haven't done any analysis on the weightings. The pitcher rating could be 0.05 for all I know. Maybe 2B weightings are half that of CF. What we do know is that the range for every player on the team effects the team range to some extent.

Previous Page | Show All |