Help

Forum >> Help >> +90 and demoted   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
dmcc1

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Has any team ever been demoted with a diff of +90 before?

I've lost a lot of extra innings games this season. Any advice appreciated. My bullpen hasn't behaved as I thought it would.

Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
That is a horrible extra-inning record. Also a very poor 1 run record.

I don't know if you feel like doing homework. :) This (imo) is a good article on the subject. It points to 3 factors in MLB that are the best indicators of success in 1 run / close games. (And tho its MLB, I feel this study / these factors connect well with BrokenBat).

The first factor is isolated power. (Can find ISO by subtracting batting average from slugging ... probably just as easy to use slugging). Teams with more power tend to do better in 1 run games (they also tend to just do better :) ). This seems to be a weakness of your team. Only 1 player with 20 HRs. 2nd last in team slugging.

The other 2 factors in the article are related to the bullpen - K/9 and BB/9 for relievers.

I don't feel like separating out your reliever stats from your team stats. Its may not be fair to use your team stats as indicators of your bullpen. So grain of salt. Your team led your division in K/9 (good) and led your division in BB/9 (bad).

Maybe also worth mentioning. A single run scored in an inning may be of more value than 1 run in a multiple run inning. Ie., a solo HR is more likely to influence the outcome of a close game than the 3rd run coming in on a 3 run HR.

Your big +ve RD suggests your team is like mine - fewer scoring innings, but more big score innings. When it comes to winning close games, its thought to be better to generate more small innings than fewer big innings.

In BrokenBat this means power (extra base hits), speed (extra base hits, stolen bases, advancing bases) and to a lesser extent bat control (moving runners through grounders, sac flies, bunts).

And back to the article - there also seems to be a bit of luck involved in these close games. It looks like you didn't have much of later.

The TL:DR

- try to find some position players with greater power and speed to increase slugging (and hope Floyd plays better ... he might be reason #1 why you are dropping)
- try to find relievers with better control
- chin up; some bad luck in there too
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
A lot depends on the balance between the East and West divisions. In your case, your division was much better than the other division, so every clubs numbers in your division looked good...even down to the demotion slots.

Steve
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was in a similar situation 2 season ago, when I relegated from IV to V with a horrible record in 1-run games (in favor of bot teams, sigh).
I was on a closer by committee at the time. During last season, I gave up and chose a closer (or 2 guys rotating) and things got better.
I couldn't help notice that you don't have a "designed" closer. I've noticed here and there that teams without a specific closer gets killed in 1-run games.
Maybe it's only a small sample size, but who knows..

(1 season ago I've also moved walls a little bit in, for not suppressing my offense. This could also have contributed in the ISO department, as Seca was saying)

Updated Wednesday, April 6 2016 @ 1:06:40 pm PDT
cmneal

Bolingbrook Beavers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
That really sucks. If it makes you feel any better, I won 110 games and was +390 and didn't win my division in LL6. How your division compares with the other division really matters, and is out of your control.

Previous Page | Show All |