Help

Forum >> Help >> Minor leaguers playing other positions?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Mostly setting...

Steve
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Been trying to find an old thread but this one will do, kind of a similar question but with a twist.

I have a 24-yo righty 1B in AAA in Hastings, a waiver pickup last season (when I had no worthy depth at that position). I've been giving him action at 2B because he would be a decent backup there but he now carries the "may have learned all he can at this level of competition" line.

So, questions:-

1. Will he be better off playing regularly in AAA even with that recommendation, or on a (very) limited basis in the Majors?
2. Is there a chance he can learn 2B now, or is it too late? And can he learn it in the Majors, or only in the Minors?
3. If the answer to 2 is "no", is there any point in keeping a righty 1B who can't play any other position?
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
1. It depends. If you play him as 2B in the Majors now, he will significantly hurt your defence and your results. If you don't mind having a few extra losses because of him - play him. He should gain experience quickly. If you have a good 2B and are in no rush, leave him down and let him play 2B in the minors.
2. It's never too late, but it's a question of whether it is worth the trouble. Learning from zero to upper case 2B will take around 2 seasons of playing this position regularly. He can learn that both in Majors and minors, what you do depends on answer to point 1.
3. This guy should never be a 1B in the first place. Too many points are wasted in defensive skills. You're thinking good to put him someplace else, but it will hurt for a while, as I wrote above. It's your call.

On a side note, I'd rather see this guy play 3B than 2B.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a decent Idea, I think, of recommended defenses for most positions... but I didn't know there was too much defense for some positions. What would be the ideal defensive cap for, say, 1B? I know range is hardly an issue over there, but wouldn't fielding be helpful?
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
but I didn't know there was too much defense for some positions

It's not about too much defence, it's about what you can pack into one player. You're not going to build a team filled with 15-16 potentials that have everything. Most likely you will have plenty of 13p players that will have some of the tools. So, you need to juggle some skills and find players with right builds. For 1B, I'd trade a point in fielding for a point in power or hitting.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@Endrju - You're right, Hastings would make a decent 3B, but my starting 3B and my top minors 3B are both only 25, and I have a couple of 22-yos after them. At 2B, my starter is 29 and apart from a couple of guys with 2B eligibility there's nobody else, and nothing in the minors. So training him at 2B makes sense.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@amalric, after a quick look at your major league roster, I'd agree with your assessment, that you should train him at 2B, because you really don't have many players with good fielding at all. Amazingly, Hastings range is actually better than your current 2B range, so after a season he will likely be better than your current one in terms of the number of hits given up should (everything else being equal, which it never is) go down. Didn't look at your minors at all, but you should really try to find a couple of prospects with both good fielding and good range for your middle infield long term.

Edit: Also, everything Endrju said is 100% spot on in my opinion.

Updated Friday, April 29 2016 @ 1:43:12 pm PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes there's 3 amazing and 4 outstanding fielders in my minors, all bar one of whom I've added since taking over. 13 of my 15 minor league batters are learning other positions (hopefully). My team is good at one thing, hitting, and I've tried to maintain that both now and in the future. So far its worked, but yes better fielding and range and general defence has to wait. Acquiring better prospects (or better fielding prospects) would be nice, but easier said than done.

I'm not eager to take Dorsey off 2B unless he's injured, given his 17 strength, power and fielding, which is good enough for me. He had a monster offensive season last year, but his 75 DP, 17 E and .976 fielding are all good too. Yes he's 29 already but I hope to stay in LL4 this year, and if I can achieve that then we might see.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Definitely no reason to make that guy a 3B as you have better guys ready to step into 3B.

Other than Kobayashi (who is even older) I don't see anyone else who has a good 2B build.

If you are willing to take the errors, he would train faster in the majors, but I don't think he is a good enough 2B prospect to do that.

It doesn't hurt anything to have both Kobayashi (probably also ready for promotion) and Hastings training at 2B while they are in the minors, but you might want to target a AA prospect off waivers who can be ready in 2-3 years to replace Dorsey. You might also end up sticking Ortíz there for a short stretch when you decide to bring up Waters.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Kobayashi has 74 games at SS in the minors and this spring, because I have no-one after Fuentes. Suzuki is also playing SS but he's a ways off at just 18. Hastings is obviously playing at 2B. The SS I do have in the minors is below average fielding so he's playing OF.

So yes, I need replacements for Dorsey and Fuentes, my MI combo, but they're really good players and they'll play as long as they can given the dearth behind them. I did try and draft 2B last year but both guys were duds, and its all an ongoing process.

Previous Page | Show All |