Help

Forum >> Help >> Too many middle infield prospects?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi all.

I think I could use some thoughts on what to do with my middle infield prospects:

Beniquez is my best 2B prospect, but the computer had him as a Catcher when I took over the team. I moved him to 2B, but only got 56 games there this year; the minor league manager played him in other positions just as often.

Day is my Shortstop candidate. I picked him up on waivers near the beginning of the season, and set him as a SS. However, the computer seems to want to play him in the OF...

Given another season or two of development, I expect these two players to be my middle infield come 2028. However, there's a wildcard in the mix:

Saavedra
is a 19-year old 14-pot 71 SI gem I drafted, and he's also training to be a SS. He's also going to be ready about the same time Day is, and he already knows both 2B and SS.

On top of this, I also have Gonzalez and Dyer in the pipe as potential MI candidates at 2B and SS respectively. They will probably be 2-3 seasons behind Saavedra, Day and Beniquez in terms of when they will be ready.

Do I have too many MI prospects? What would you do with them?

Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Day isn't a great SS candidate. His left handed throwing arm is going to hurt his defense. Left handed throwers are limited to OF and 1B (unless you are willing to take a penalty to their defense). For the same reason, Gonzalez isn't a great MI prospect.

Having good range is a real asset for a middle infielder. Neither Dyer or Beniquez has this going for them.

Saaverda is a very nice prospect. I'd try to get both his 2B and SS to upper case to give some flexibility when he hits the bigs.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Agree with Seca, and I'd start Saavedra training at SS first because that is the hardest position to fill, needing all three defensive tools.

Beníquez and Dyer don't have great range, but I think they could be passable at 2B if you need them. While Beníquez might not be the optimal 2B, I do think 2B is probably the optimal position for Beníquez. You might be able to get away with Dyer at 3B if you don't mind the low Arm score. I wouldn't put Dyer at SS though.

Updated Friday, April 1 2016 @ 1:10:50 pm PDT
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the advice all. I've made these changes:

I've relegated Gonzalez and Day to outfield. I hadn't even thought of the left-handed penalty, but that makes sense. I may be cutting some OF prospects next season as I have two young-(ish) OFs on my team at the moment and another 5 or 6 in the pipeline.

Beniquez and Saavedra are the two best prospects in my system right now. I'm leaving Beniquez at 2B for now until I snag an upgrade. Saavedra is well on his way to a capital 'SS' as he got 102 games in that position under his belt this season. I at least recognized *that* right off the bat!

I may move Dyer to 3B then until he gets his uppercase, then get some games in at SS as a fallback. By the time he comes up in a few seasons, Saavedra will probably be my primary SS.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I really like Day as an OF/1B. I'm not convinced Gonzalez is a good prospect.

Saavedra is an awesome SS prospect.

I would be very comfortable with Dyer as a 3B and then 2B as a secondary position imo.

While Beniquez's 14 range isn't great, it is serviceable with a big range SS imo. 2B is definitely his best position. Maybe secondary position LF.

Sorry about the multiple edits but it took me time to get the names straight.

Updated Friday, April 1 2016 @ 5:53:36 pm PDT

Updated Friday, April 1 2016 @ 5:56:15 pm PDT

Updated Friday, April 1 2016 @ 6:00:15 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not so enamored with Day in general (too much Fielding and not enough Hitting), but in general I concur with Tiger's analysis.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I should also mention that I have Gillespie in the mix.

I feel like his range is a touch low to be a SS, but his arm is a bit wasted at 2B. Perhaps a 3B candidate?
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Gillespie should be trained at 3B. He should retain his SS. If he has a good bat he could play either, otherwise he is a utility player.

And yes, his range is less than ideal for SS but very similar to my SS Cooper this season. However, his bat will be the question mark that decides whether he is worth starting at either position.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep, I think he makes sense as a 3B, except he'll splitting games with Yeager, who I think is probably the better 3B prospect.

Previous Page | Show All |