Help

Forum >> Help >> Is it beneficial to teach a minor a secondary position?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Specifically referring to http://brokenbat.org/player/110277

I envision him being my 3B but he can also be a good catcher. When he gets the uppercase 3B - would it hurt him at all if I switch him to play catcher for the remainder of his minor league career?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Generally it is beneficial, as long as you don't end up losing your capital position. So you need to keep an eye on that. In the case of the player you listed, he still hasn't fully learned how to play third fully (3b vs. 3B) so I would keep him training at 3B. Even after he gets his full proficiency (3B) I would probably still play him there for a while because he will be right on the cusp. Depending on how quickly he gets his 3B and how soon he promotes to the majors it may or may not actually be useful to spend time training him at C.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I would definitely train him at catcher once he has his 3B. The more versatile he is, the more valuable he can be to your club. He may not even get his small c though. I am not convinced all positions train equally nor that all players train positions at the same pace.
I am convinced catcher is the hardest position to train a guy at if for no other reason than the constant nagging injuries at the major league level.
He has the makings of an excellent catcher in my opinion.
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I like him more at 3B because he will be amazing in the field - I feel like catcher is more suited for someone who is solid/good in the field (14-16 FLD). Am I wrong here? I just feel like catcher would be sort of wasting some of his talents.

Reason I do want him to possibly play catcher is I don't have any catching prospects and the kid I have playing the position now isn't going to suffice to much of a player so Fowler might be my best option in the end. But I do feel he is better suited for 3B.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
No you are correct. He would be an excellent 3B or catcher. You are doing the right thing. And yes, he might be able to fill at catcher for you even as your 3B. Just depends on your depth there.

Previous Page | Show All |