Help

Forum >> Help >> Tips for thinning the herd?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I think I may have grasped the basics of how measurements work here, but it's probably still way too early to tell as when I took this team over, there were a bunch of players at ML level that probably should have stayed in AAA or lower so I've been straightening that out. I can probably figure out who's got a better chance of surviving a lift to the majors, but if someone wants to comb through my minor roster, it might shave a few minutes off that figuring. Things I already know:
* There are several 24-year-olds in AA or lower that should probably get the axe. I just don't want to axe the wrong one(s) and shoot myself in the foot.
* There's probably one or two who could stand to be promoted to AAA, bue I'd like to trim the garbage around them first.
* If I'm understanding right, the younger the player and higher pot score, the more likely it is that player isn't going to suck. If that's right, any idea on approximate ranges to look for? For instance: 24-year-old with 12 pot - keep, or replace with someone useful?
* <a href="../../../player/89396">this guy</a> was recommended for AA. He was also, when I took this team, the starting SS on the ML lineup. How damaged is he now? Worth keeping?

Most of my starting rotation are people I signed who already were considered ML pitchers - they replaced pitchers like <a href="../../../player/118451">this one</a>, who the engine again says should still be in AA. Will he continue to be useful, or have I lost out on him?

Basicly, any general things to look for would be absolutely wonderful - particularly if it prevents me from asking this exact same question later about a different batch of players.
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
First thing. Minor league placement is simple - keep players at the level suggested in the Roster Update.

Check weekly after the Training Update on Friday as the suggested level could change.

If properly managed through the minors most players should be ready for the majors by 25 years, or sometimes earlier.

===================================================

One exception, the system will suggest that 25yo players should be in the majors. These may be under-rated if these have been playing the majors rather than receiving training in the minors.

You may be able to recover some of this by holding them back at AAA but other people on the forum may be able to say whether this is worth doing.
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I usually discard any pitchers who are wild or lack control (although I have seen some other teams with successful pitchers like this).

As a rough guide I compare pitching skills by adding (Vel+CoS+Mov+Con). Once you have done this see whether you can pick-up any free agents, probably cheap if you are budget constrained, that are better than those you already have.

I like starting pitchers to have stamina of at least 10-11 preferably 13 or more. If their scouting report says limited to a few innings then they are probably destined for the bullpen as short-medium relief pitchers.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
That much I kind of gathered. I'm figuring if some of my players turn 25 and are still in AA or lower I may toss them overboard, given they're probably not altogether ready for the big time and the slot can go to someone more deserving. Is there a minimum SI you should look for for a ML player?
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm in my first season so feel free to ignore this, but I've done a lot of research into the best way to bring guys along on BB and observed how the more experienced guys do it.

First of all, cut everyone with a 9 or 10 POT (and probably most of the 11s too) - those guys will never amount to anything. You can search the Free Agents list for guys with a minimum of 13 POT at P or NP, and if you set the maximum age at 27 (for example) you'll still see a huge selection of guys on waivers or FA from ages 19 up that are better candidates to help your team than all those lesser guys. Some of them likely won't amount to anything either, but they at least have a chance with the higher POT.

AAA guys - Mendoza should be your C of the future; Caldera belongs in the OF but he has no hit tool to speak of so there's not much upside there. Fiori is a 24-yo 1B with no hit tool, he should be cut. Lee is a fielding-only 2B, so consider cutting him. Evans might be average at 3B.

AA guys - Almost all cuts. Yoshida might be worth keeping around given his high SI, and Trejo was doing well in the Majors so definitely worth keeping around.

A and below - Cut everyone not a 12 POT, and even those guys need to have value: positive hitting/slugging reports for hitters, positive fielding reports for 2B/SS, positive fielding AND CONTROL for pitchers. Guys that are "good" potential should be the minimum requirement.

I've replaced 13 of the 21 guys in my minors system since I took over, and only 3 of them are POT 12 - the rest are all POT 13 and 14.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If a player is 25 and has an SI under 60, he can be cut. That is the only hard SI rule I follow. Most of it is looking at SI gains per season and where they are in the minors. Guys in single A or below at 25 are extreme long shots, and several experienced players will say auto-cuts. Guys at AA when they turn 25 are the subject of several of the ongoing debates. I personally don't like cuts by SI at most ages because guys like Rosa and Quintanilla can put up huge SI gains per season after starting with exceedingly low SIs at relatively older ages.
cmneal

Bolingbrook Beavers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
And realize that you can do all those things and still be in division six a year and a half from now. I'm 72-38 and four games out of first. Looks like more Div 6 for me...I'm on pace to win 90+ games four of the last five years and still is the lowest division.

Updated Thursday, March 17 2016 @ 7:57:57 pm PDT

Updated Thursday, March 17 2016 @ 8:01:06 pm PDT
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I think I'll muddle through my first few seasons and see where I am, but these look like fair enough guidelines.

Additionally, any suggestions for when it would be ideal to release a player who's no longer living up to what he used to? I know about the age restrictions, for instance. But I signed a 34-year-old c because the guy he's replacing should have been a backup and that guy's backup needed to cook in AAA a little longer before he'll eventually be my starter. Assuming the 34-year-old at least holds his own until his replacement is ML ready, what are some warning signs I should be looking for?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@cmneal, you have good bats, but even Rock puts a better defense on the field than you have. A SS with 9 range, an outfield that averages 11 range, an infield with average fielding around 10? With that lack of range and fielding you are likely giving up a TON of hits. Your pitching is ok, with some really good guys and some guys who are below average who hopefully don't get many innings. The defense is hurting your pitching though as they are not getting to as many balls as they should, and probably fail to get more than average number of outs due to the low fielding as well.

Previous Page | Show All |