Help

Forum >> Help >> Improvements to stay competitive?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey guys, I am currently in my eighth season here as the GM of the North Port Knights. During that time period, I took a team that was struggling both in finances and performance and was able to turn us into a fairly competitive team. Now that I'm in league IV, I'm again looking for advice on how to get even better. Although I have some solid players and exciting prospects, the team just seems average this year due to tougher competition. Obviously, my bullpen is very thin right now, and I am currently seeking out some more bullpen guys to fill out the rotation. On the offensive side, we have the highest amount of runs scored in the league and a solid average, but we're still stuck in 5th at a few games under the .500 mark. What should I do to keep us from demoting this year? Any tips are welcomed, whether they be general tips or specific players to cut or move in the lineup. Thanks in advance!
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Outside of the bullpen which is the big area you've identified, it looks like you're below par defensively, a SS with 11 arm for example is less than ideal, a CF with less than 17/18 range also.

You could cut a couple of guys like Wyatt and Meyers and look to pic up someone along the lines of Bustamante or Vargas who can hit at the bottom of your order, but will greatly improve your outfield defense and subsequently reduce the load on your pitchers :)

If you're happy to train him on the fly, my old 3B Heath would make a solid CF who can hit

Especically at this stage of the season with the 5 games a day you need at least 11 pitchers, even if you pick up a different vet or two each day to pitch in LR to save your best bullpen guys for the important roles. Mann or Perkins are very serviceable options

Hope this helps!
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks a lot! I think I had been focusing on hitting and pitching so much over the past couple seasons that I ignored the defensive side. I'll definitely look to find a balance between those three areas. Thanks again!
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
You've got some great hitters you cannot afford to remove from your lineup. Dela Torre and Dennis for sure. I even think that ss Walsh is important to keep at 26 years old. He's probably ideally a 1b defensively but he lacks power. All in all a good piece of the puzzle though. 1b, lf and backup ss/2b. Maybe play him at 2B and find a true glove for ss.

I'd look at finding an older pitcher or two that look bad but have a solid history to eat some innings in long relief or even spot start if a starter goes down.

I'll pm you a guy I would trust in that role that nobody would look twice at.
jaycarter

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
well i just beat chesapeake 4 times in a row so that should help you get closer to 4th... you're in a tough division and i wish you luck on staying in league iv, you have a good team

Updated Wednesday, March 2 2016 @ 5:29:25 pm PST
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
IV8 east is tough. IV7 east is no piece of cake. I came up through 8 and relegated to 7. There are some really good teams coming and going out of III.4 east.
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
@jaycarter Thanks, now all you have to do is let me win 5 in a row on you! XD

Previous Page | Show All |