Help

Forum >> Help >> How bad is the left handed infielder penalty?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
NM, I misunderstood and thought you were questioning my point. On a second read-through I see you were obviously questioning afreespirit's point.

Updated Friday, February 26 2016 @ 8:17:56 pm PST
DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
A shovel pass is one thing, but actually turning the pivot and throwing from 2B to 1B would be slow and awkward since the 2B would have to rotate his body to make the throw to 1B.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its a pivot on the right foot instead of a pivot on the left foot. More difficult? Maybe. Impossible? Not at all.
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That may be true for the X-Box experience, but not in real life.

Throwing mechanics 101, rule 1; glove side towards target.

For 2B on a DP you reach the bag facing toward the plate area with some momentum going that way. It's simple for a RH to throw to 1B because his glove side is already towards the target at 1B, and the momentum helps put some additional velocity on the throw. A LH has the glove side towards 3B. To complete the DP he has to change his facing 180 deg. A complete reversal of position with momentum still towards the plate area (he is now backing up!) while simultaneously avoiding tripping over the bag (It's 3-5" thick not flush with the ground, it's an obstacle) and avoiding the base runner sliding hard into 2B to break up the play. Attempting this in real life is going to result in injury far more than a successful completion of the DP.

You also cannot make an underhand shovel pass the 90' from 2B to 1B in time. That's just another silly claim.
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
An additional problem for a LH is tagging a sliding basetealer. The glove of the LH is on the wrong side of the bag and on a good throw from the catcher he has to backhand it which is a bit more difficult than for a RH. Advantage runner.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

You also cannot make an underhand shovel pass the 90' from 2B to 1B in time. That's just another silly claim.

What if it was Pablo Sandoval who hit the grounder though?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@afreespirit Every time you respond to this topic you convince me more and more that you have never even seen this game played.

For 2B on a DP you reach the bag facing toward the plate area

I think you are confusing 2B with CF. You are facing towards LF when you take a ball at 2B.
Tip - You don't actually stand on 2B when you play 2B. Its played differently then 1B and 3B.

LOL, I was referring to the shovel pass from 2B to SS when you are going to the right. But now that you mentioned it, moving to the left, the left hander actually has an easier shovel pass to 1B. Its basically identical to a righty shovel passing to second. And if you don't think 2B ever shovel pass the ball its clear that you have never either played nor watched the game played.
Tip #2 - The runner going to second usually actually gets there faster than the batter going to 1B. This is because of a concept called the "lead", and the fact that the batter has to finish his swing and dispose of the bat before can really start running at full speed.
Tip #3 - There is a variation of the thing were refer in baseball to as the "double play" in which the 2B throws the ball to the 1B who then throws the ball to the SS standing on second base. Did you think a 2B would try to shovel pass the ball to 1B while standing on second? LOL!

LH 2B the penalty should also eliminate him from completing double plays

And back to the actual statement you are trying to deflect from. How does any of what you said support your supposition that lefties are entirely incapable of ever turning a DP?

Updated Friday, February 26 2016 @ 8:21:40 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Left handed shovel pass for DB :)

And another

Both of these would have been easier if they weren't wearing gloves on their left hand, or munching on dirt. Or actually lefties for that matter. Somehow a righty can make a left handed shovel pass to the SS while diving and wearing a glove, yet it would simply be impossible for a lefty to do such a throw.

This one is truly amazing. An elusive 6-4-3. Given a righty SS throwing to second is identical to a lefty 2B throwing to second (glove on outside, facing opposite field), it must be rare, right? Right? LOL!

BTW, afreespirit, these video links depict that game that we refer to as "baseball."
Tip #4, there are no wickets in baseball.

If you think about it. Using afreespirit's Throwing 101 rule, a left handed short stop should really have a bonus for turning a 4-6-3 because he is better positioned for the throw and doesn't have the reset the way a righty does. So Steve should probably add a fielding bonus for lefty SS.

Updated Friday, February 26 2016 @ 10:17:44 pm PST
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ignoring the tangent of how things work in real life, let's get to the most important issue...

Error aren't really counted as fielding versus throwing errors. They could be either.

They're not counted individually, no. I understand that the system doesn't make a distinction between throwing or fielding errors nor tracks them separately... but the big question here is: are both fielding AND arm checked when determining an error?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've always worked under the assumption that they are both checked, but I don't know for sure.

Previous Page | Show All |