Help

Forum >> Help >> A Pitching Quandary   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
xLee227

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've got a surplus of pitching, which is certainly not a bad thing but is creating some difficulty in terms of getting younger pitchers some playing time. Who would you cut from my pitching staff to make room for Warner and Abeyta, or would you cut one of them instead?

Just a brief rundown on my viewpoint on some of my pitchers who I view as candidates to cut:

Saucedo: Oldest pitcher at 33 but has pitched well in Legends albeit in limited innings. He's the one I'm leaning towards cutting.

Contreras: Another veteran bullpen arm but younger at 31, who I've got as a LHS. Good movement/control, both 16+ so he has a solid go-to pitch which is important for his role, although he has yet to put up comparable numbers to Saucedo despite easier competition.

Abeyta: Picked up off waivers last season; "Very good" 12pt with a projected plus fastball with mid-rotation starter potential. 90SI at 26 years of age and not much SI in defense so on paper he looks really solid. Unfortunately, the results just haven't been there. He struggled during Spring Training and has a ghastly 8.20 ERA through League/Cup play at this point. His Minor League stats were never terrific either, an ERA just under 5 through 400+ innings
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I think Saucedo has to go - he's only really taking playing time away form your younger guys as you say, It'll only hurt you long term by keeping him around.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Normally I'm all for cutting the oldest, but this may be one of those cases I'd go with the guy who is actually doing the worst. If you really have that much depth at pitching I would cut Saucedo at the end of the season, but cut Contreras now since he is not pitching well enough after plenty of innings. Abeyto really looks like his stats SHOULD get better since he still has more room to develop, but if you put stock in large sample sizes of minor league games the results are not promising.

Previous Page | Show All |