Help

Forum >> Help >> Scouting Report   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hello,

I'm a bit confused about the way Scouting Report works and I was wondering if someone could explain this better.

In the manual it says:

"Scouting Report: a report with some information about the players current skill set and ability to improve on them. Also may indicate a measure of the player's overall potential."

That's all good except that it's common to find players with better stats than others, but with worst scouting reports, so I'm guessing scouting report is not really "information about players current skill".

If I'm right in this assumption, how does it work then?

Do scouting reports get updated overtime as players advance in their skills?

Maybe scouting report is only usefull when drafting players and we should disregard it after that?

The information about "ability to improve" seems to be reliable, but I'm not sure about the info about "player's overall potential".
AmUnRA

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The scouting report is the whole player page with the skills, prospect description and potential rating.

The text you are referring is a description of the potential skill maximum and it stays at is for whole career. The only changes are hints for age, reached potential and wrong minor league level.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I think these sections kind of address the issue:

- Current Skill Values vs. Potential Skill Limits
A player has a current skill level which dictates how a player will perform in games and is the approximate value displayed for each skill. Then there is a player's potential for each skill which is unknown, but eluded to through the scouting report. As a player gets more training and experience, his current skill level will approach his potential skill limit. Then, as a player ages, his skills will again drop below his potential value and approach zero. Note, some skills will generally start much closer to their potential value than other skills.

- Scouted Skill Values vs. Real Skill Values

So are there skill values displayed for each player accurate? Just as in real baseball, where there is some uncertainty about a player's talent level, in Broken Bat there is also built-in uncertainty in displayed skill levels. The visible skill values for each player are an approximation of his current actual skill level and may deviate by up to 20% from it true value for some skills. Additionally, just like in real baseball, as a player plays more games, his displayed skill value will approach his true current skill level. Note, this may result in a player's displayed skill level actually dropping, even though he is receiving regular training and playing time. His skill value is not actually dropping, but because his actual skill level is better known now, a more accurate and lower value is now displayed.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
So players (especially young players) may perform better or worse than the skill values you see because they are imperfect. As a players plays in the majors, a truer picture of his skill level emerge and we also have his statistics to guide our evaluation of the player.

Steve
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When you say that a truer picture of a player emerge as he begins to start playing in the majors, does that mean that his visible skill numbers will adjust to his real skill numbers after being in the majors for a while?

Previous Page | Show All |