Help

Forum >> Help >> overmatched   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
zonablazer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Does the phrase, "He seems a little overmatched at this level of competition." mean a player will:

1. not play as well as he could at a lower level
2. not receive correct training
3. something else....
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It means the first i likely, although not guaranteed but the second is more than likely especially if it is a player recommended for the minors [principally AA or below] and they are playing in the ML. Players only gain SI through minor league training and ML experience so the fastest way to stunt a player is to play him in the majors too soon.

TL;DR Yes to everything. Overmatched means a player is not going to be optimized.
zonablazer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the reply. That helped a lot.

The main reason I asked was that I have a player who has an SI of 86 and he is 23. But the system wants him in AA, which seems a little low.

But I am fairly new, so maybe I still have something to learn about the minors....
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
One thing to keep in mind is that there is no correlation between SI and the level that they will train best at as each player will have a unique development path that fits somewhat with one of about 7 or 8 archetypes from my experience. It is best to follow your scouts' recommended level especially for the first few seasons while you are getting a feel for exactly when you can actually promote early without stunting a player. Even after you get a good feel for the training system it is still best to follow the scouts' advice about 99% of the time.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The only good reason to promote ahead of the recommendation is if the player's current abilities exceed that of your current ML starter at the position he would play. Even then, it's usually better to sign an upgrade off waivers/FA if possible so the youngster can continue to develop optimally.

Please note that being better/ready is NOT measured by SI. You have to be able to assess how well they can perform with their exact distribution of skills.

If you do this, they won't really under-perform even if it says they're overmatched. I've seen 23yo pitchers put up fine numbers while having that message.

Previous Page | Show All |