Help

Forum >> Help >> Drafting Help   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
superty76

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was wondering if there was a key to drafting future stars. I see some say "good" potential and some say "above average". I'm guessing good means a higher ceiling? Are there other levels of overall potential and how do they rank?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, "good" is generally better than "above average", and "very good" is generally better than "good". Really you need to read and understand the whole scouting report to be successful. Check out the first page of this thread for information on how to read the scouting report.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The potential mentioned in scouting reports is deliberately ambiguous. The entire meaning and reason of them is a point of debate. Someone recently suggested their role is specifically for the pre-draft stage and selection process. I'm a believer in that, but there are other camps that support other theories.
Leaving that behind, here are the ranges I've seen in potential for each grade:
Very good 12+
Good 10-14
Above average 12-

There might be a few players that break those molds, but they are the exceptions. To be clear, those are the ranges I've seen in overall potential. See the thread Rock pointed out for breakdowns in each known skill.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Above average actually has a lower limit as well since there is one additional grade of no overall potential report. NEVER pick up a guy with no report.

My understanding of the overall potential report is that it is used to generate the player after you have drafted them. The overall potential report probably gives you a range of SI that gets assigned to the player. So the overall potential report gives you some insight into the accuracy of the rest of the scouting report. Ratings can be off by as much as 20%, which means in extreme cases it is (rarely) possible for POT to be off by as much as 20%. So a POT 12 "above average" player isn't likely as good as a POT 12 "very good potential" player. The later has a high chance of being under-scouted and reaching the high end of his POT range, while the former has a high chance of being over-scouted and petering out at the low end of his POT range.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Technically the POT can be off by as much as nearly 4 since the max number of skills it can be off is 4 (if scouted as a potential 20). So you could 'lose' (or gain I suppose) as much as 36 points and since the scale for POT is in increments of 12 that means it can be off as much as a full 3 POT. As I'm not sure how cutoffs for decimals work, in theory you could see 4 POT difference but 3 POT is definitely in play.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
From my experience so far?
Note that I never gotten any player above 13 POT..
The Draft only not i repeat "NOT" Wavers or Free Agent....
When you Draft now that we have 10 players, is way better than before with 5 players to choose....
The POT of the scouting report i base my math like this.
1 Very Good Overall 12-20
2 Good Overall 10-14
3 Above Average 8-12
4 None 1-10
5 """NEVER SEEN A BAD POT SCOUT YET"""
6 Bad scout would be Poor or Very Poor Overall POT
This is just ME how i draft them.
!!NOW!! IF they get drafted the POT is Revealed for that player and it does change over time or it will stay same.... The longer you have the player the better scouting report will be...

Previous Page | Show All |