Help

Forum >> Help >> Roster cuts / tips   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
punkska

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hello!
I had all this at the end of an already long post in the discussion forum, but my own ramble probably makes more sense in my own thread. Any advice on this mess of thoughts / my roster otherwise is welcome.

Expensive dudes I'm wondering whether to cut or not:
Gomez, Lozano and Casey. 12m in 32-33 year old starting pitchers. Any of the 3 looks obviously the best/worst to others? I think at least 1 of them will go.

Caruso: poor range, poor batting stats last season and 4m salary. If only Fujita was right handed! This'd be an easy cut.

Bass: probably my best power/HR hitter but basically a DH only. If my division is as weak as it seems my squad should be versatile enough not to need him right?

My OFs are kind've a mess but all cheap enough. I think I need to cut 1, especially as Ellis and Latham need some ABs and that may be the logical space for them.

Morales - I'm not entirely sure about that wage, but 6 yrs exp at only 26 for a starting quality player, I have to have one of these!

Kozlowski - unsure why I'm being so slow about cutting him. Guess that range / arm is attractive in some way and I'm not experienced enough to know he'll never make a good enough bat.

Coy - behind on the age / development curve. Worth the wait? Projected 2031 for the majors right now.

I have 6 outfield rookies too which is probably too many but ehh.

Updated Monday, February 1 2016 @ 7:27:05 pm PST
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Just focusing specifically on the guys you listed:

Gomez: expensive and aging but still useful - could be a set up guy to help hold leads if you have your young guys start
Lozano: i'd cut him loose, his only real asset is stamina which just means he's going to take innings away from the young guys who you want to give as many innings to as possible
Casey - probably hold until you can bring up one of your minor league guys, possibly as an LHS< but he's expensive, if you can find better in FA then go for it

Caruso: shame about the poor range, he's performed pretty poorly with the bat throughout his career - can probably find a better platoon option for Fujita, but probably worth a shot on a very short leash to see if he can mash for you a bit
Bass: he's worth holding onto if you are keen on promoting and think it'll be a close race, otherwise he'll just take AB's from the young guys - perhaps another on a short leash
Morales: poor arm for a catcher but good bat so might be worthwhile, at that age he's worth holding onto - even if he just becomes aback up C/bench bat he'll add value to your club for 4-5 seasons
Kozlowski - gone, can get better in FA
Coy - probably not a popular pick but I like him - 20 years old in AA, his best pitch will be a change up, but a very good 4/5 SP, love those low fielding stats - definitely let him grow in my opinion

After a very quick glance at your roster it looks like finding a SS who can defend should be your biggest concern along with a couple of younger pitchers, someone like: Parra or Kimura , although not attractive players will help you out in the medium term

Hope that helps!
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As counter-intuitive as it may seem, Lozano looks definitively the worst of those three, Gomez looks not good but servicable if needed, whereas Casey actually looks like a keeper through this season at least. Here's why, Lozano's highest skill rating in a pitching category is 13 and a large percentage of his SI is coming from those fielding skills, that means that he will have a rough time getting any decent hitters out. Gomez is slightly better with a 14 velocity, but still will probably run into trouble against the best LL VI hitters. Casey on the other hand has a 16 Change of Speeds, which is the low end of the target range for an "out" pitch. Casey also has a proven history of dominating in LL VI, along with a low percentage of SI tied up in fielding skills.

Too be honest, I'd go with several guys at SS over Caruso, his 10 range is killing you on the hit calculations considering SS range is one of the most heavily weighted positions. I know your choices are either a lefty or a guy who doesn't have position eligibility, but versus a guy with 10 range, I'd take the penalty personally. It will hurt in the short term, but the benefits of not wasting time playing a guy who isn't actually fit to play SS will pay off long term.

Unless you have one of your 16 arms at catcher, you could play Bass at catcher. Otherwise, yes, he is a potential cut.

Cut Kozlowski, otherwise your minor league roster looks solid for a first season owner. All 12 potential or higher, no super stars, but only Kozlowski looks useless.

Going to be a long climb, but it looks like you are making the correct starting steps. My opinion is that while in LL VI you should get as young as you can, because it takes a couple of seasons for players to hit their potential and LL VI is perfect for those rough building seasons with the lower intensity competition and no way to get demoted. At least that is what I did 8 seasons ago.

Previous Page | Show All |