Help

Forum >> Help >> Cutting minors   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I thought we were talking general likelihood and not what the best hitter do.

I also did note that pulling a ball breaking away from you would be considerably more difficult to do and is less likely to happen.

Another thought: if the defense shifts to play the ball away and the pitcher throws pitches away to try to get you to hit it over there... do you just willingly hit into the shift?

Actually a really smart hitter probably just tries to foul off the pitches away until the pitcher gives him something inside, I guess...

Updated Thursday, January 28 2016 @ 2:25:52 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The real life commentary is all good. Here is what it says in the game manual:

Outfield: There are three outfield (OF) positions: left field (LF), center field (CF) and right field (RF). Outfielders are required to track down fly balls and field ground balls and line drives that make it through the infield. There is no real defensive advantage to being right or left handed. Often weaker defenders are put in the corner outfield positions (LF or RF).

Left Field: Left fielders (LF) need range, but not much fielding skill. A strong arm is nice, but not required.

Center Field:
Center fielders (CF) generally handle more balls than the other two outfield positions and so you want your best defensive outfielder to play here. Center fielders need range, but not much fielding skill. A strong arm will prevent runners from taking extra bases.

Right Field: Right fielders (RF) need some range, but not much fielding skill. A strong arm is important to prevent runners from taking extra bases, especially third base which can be a long throw from right field.

I would put him in CF because I consider CF to be a position where defensive skill mater. To me LF and RF should have big bats. Shea has a good bat for a defensive player, but I personally would not consider his bat sufficient for LF or RF. His arm is a little on the low side for CF, which is why I recommend you play him at 2B, with CF as a secondary position if you are able to get him training in the minors. Also his high fielding is a bit wasted at CF, while it would be very useful at 2B. He really has a 2B build.

Updated Thursday, January 28 2016 @ 3:42:44 pm PST
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
MukilteoMike: I remember watching one MLB game where the defense shifted to right side against Granderson (if I remember it correctly), and he still couldnt hit anywhere but right field. And he is a LHH. So its a pull hit.

The conclusion: if you throw inside-> its less likely to be a push hit, throw away from the hitter and its less likely to b a pull hit. Like in cricket. What u think?

Rock777,yeah i checked the manual. In the end if the CF handles more situatioins where there is even a possibility to make an out, u want him to be a good fielder and especially a strong arm.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Motko, each hitter is different. There are low and high-ball hitters, in and out, and a very few who can handle most spots well. It just depends. I will say that one should completely ignore what Granderson does in the box. 😀

Regarding the outfield conversation, as the guide says, centerfielders have many more attempts than the side guys. I generally use the equation Range × 2 + Arm. The highest outfielder plays center. There are exceptions (mostly when I have a guy learning the outfield), but I think my general guideline works pretty well.

Updated Friday, January 29 2016 @ 1:19:13 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Regardless I would assume you are training Stretch at 2B given that is his best position, and you don't have any other good 2B on your team.
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I usually put oufielder in this way:

CF: best combination of fielding and range, if he has a good arm better

RF: Range and arm, if he has good fielding better

LF: The worst defensive OF in the roster, but with a decent range is better

1B: highest fielding and lowest range and arm.

motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
highest fielding on 1st base? seriously?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In the game, fielding is pretty much useless in the OF. The way it works in the game is that if they can reach it they can catch it. Where as the fielding attribute comes into play for every single routine throw to 1B. So it makes sense to play your LHB with the highest fielding at 1B.
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I mean highest fielding possible combined with lowest range and arm.

last year my 1B had 1367 fielding attempts, my LF 345.

So higher fielding means less errors.

examples:
My projected 1B

Projected LF

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It does work that way in the game, but in real life fielding is more important in the OF. The vast majority of your 1B fielding attempts are routine throws to 1B.

Previous Page | Show All |