Help

Forum >> Help >> Observations: September Call-ups   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Does anyone feel there's a real benefit to calling up minor league players at the end of the season to get some majors experience? I know there are people who practice this routine, but I'm not sure it's beneficial at all.

I've noticed that major league guys get pretty much nothing towards the end of the season... particularly the last 2-3 updates (so today's and the last couple) and pretty much useless for anyone in the majors and only really produces pops for minor league guys.

So others have a similar experience or is this just me? I feel like to get the best chance of SI gain, players should actually be in the minors during the final few updates of the season and not playing in the majors. I had a couple guys starting every game in late September through October getting no gains versus guys who stayed down still gaining.
mikkoredsox

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I actually had two guys that were ready for promotion after the previous training update pop today.

http://brokenbat.org/player/110217
http://brokenbat.org/player/96492

Nothing huge, but I suppose it's something.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you call guys up for the last 10-15 games at least you get to see them play if nothing else.

I believe game experience is continuously tallied so they must gain some experience and position experience.

If it hurts the players development to not be in the minors for that final update (or two even) then that is unrealistic imo as not only is it common in real baseball but also the minor league season is over. It just wouldn't make sense.

Further I think it is also unrealistic to have development hurt by missing a single update during the season (if you bring up a triple A pitcher to cover when you have 2-3 injuries for example.)

note: I have no idea whether it hurts development or not.

Finally I have seen managers say that when they bring up players you have to get them back down by update day or hurt the players development. Let me just say I certainly hope this is untrue (I'm not sure if Steve has ever commented on it or not and I don't blame him if he never comments on it). But if it is true, it is clearly unrealistic and should be changed imo.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think we'd have to know whether there are differences between 1st-9th and 10th update, both for the minors and majors.
Major league player gets a limited amount of AB/IPs in the last week. That's a fact.
If we've been told that 10th minors update is the same as 1st-9th I don't think there are any advantage calling up youngsters.
My 2 cents, clearly.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Most vets seem to say to call them up but make sure they're back in the minors before update #10.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Supposing that there's a experience cap made by IP/AB above which players don't progress anymore (or by a little amount), in that way you're going to reduce that span with "garbage"/lost space.
I think this was the theory by Seca and I'm leaning on it so far.
It's just an opinion, anyway. Somebody else may have other/better theories.

Previous Page | Show All |