Help

Forum >> Help >> How long to learn a new position   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
itsjustmath

Plymouth Pilgrims
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
He just got his small of with this training. I wasn't sure if anyone saw that there were some players that couldn't learn a position for which they were being trained. I have had some players that I was able to train two positions during their time in the minors so his position training seemed slow to me. At least he has some experience in the of now and will give me a little roster flexibility. Thanks for your help.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah I was the same way. My Babe Ruth coach thought I made an excellent OF because I made so many diving catches... LOL. He never realized that was because I sucked so bad at judging fly balls I always HAD to make diving catches. LOL.

and rock makes another spectacular play out of a routine fly ball!!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
LOL! Yep.
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Late last season one of my players (luther bell)laerned a new position (ss). Is he going to lose it if i start to play him in another position and he would stop gaining experience at ss?
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Positions degrade from lack of play (if you don't do something for a while, you're no longer used to doing it), so yes.

Think of it this way...

Pretend there's a 1-20 scale of how well a player knows a position.

At 0-9, you might as well say he has no real understanding.

At 10, you see a "ss" pop up because he has some idea of how to play the position.

At 15, maybe it goes to "SS" because he's gotten pretty good at the role by now.

For example's sake, let's say he degrades half a point every update if he's had 0 experience at the position that week.

If you got your guy to 11 before stopping, next week he might still have "ss" even if he never played the position at all.

But another 2-3 shortstop-less weeks may cause it to fade away since he falls below that 10.

Playing at least a little at the position during the week helps offset this degrade. Now I don't know the actual degrade amount/rate nor how much gain you get from playing X amount of time. Too little may only slow it down... whereas there's a 'sweet spot' that makes it stay exactly where it is and anything over that would actually be gaining.

As I previously mentioned (possibly even in this thread), I have a OF that I taught 3B to the point where the latter is capital... but he never lost capital OF yet either despite not playing any OF at all last season and only playing very little during the prior 2. He must have naturally been really high and what little maintenance I did 2 seasons ago were enough for now.
motko

IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Crazy Li, i thought it might b something like that. I guess even the skills are more like 1-100 and only represented as 0-20.
motko

IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
I was wondering, if players skill can decrease so little that the development graph doesnt even show it, due to lack of experience lately,
Do the players get weaker during the offseason ? And therefor it would be benefitial to give even the major players some playing time.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Skills can change (better or worse) in a significant enough way to affect performance in the engine but too small for a graph change.

Actual degrade for skills on happens at the end of the season, though it seems positional degrade can happen at any update.

There is no off-season update for any changes to occur, so don't worry about that. There is a season end aging update and nothing else until the 2nd Friday of spring training.

Updated Friday, January 29 2016 @ 12:25:43 pm PST
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's some proof that players can lose all learned positions.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Not quite as extreme, but in 2024 this guy was 3B/2B/SS, by 2025 he was 3b/2b/ss.

Previous Page | Show All |