Help

Forum >> Help >> Who to cut   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Considering I seem to have trouble getting guys who can hit, I'd rather cut Finley than Powell... so I think that will be my choice.

Finley could become a catcher next season... but he would likely just be another dead spot in my offense (I already have 2-3 starters who can't hit their way out of a paper bag)

Also Powell still has another season to gain some SI before the auto recommendation so if I'm lucky, he might get it in the right places.

Granted his maximum use would be a guy who sits on the bench waiting to see how my outfielders hit and if they stick for too long, he'll get a shot to do better... but that's still a potential use.

Kraft is tricky... he could be a guy who either hits a HR or gets out every at bat. Maybe the HRs will be worth it?
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
And... looks like I got a catch-and-release for him...

well at least I don't have to make a decision next week xP

I actually don't anticipate making any further cuts this season. Even if I keep my next pick, I'll just decline the last draft since it's just dregs left at this point.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting observation about AA Rock777. Haven't noticed that myself.

I try to keep a steady stream flowing through the pitching pipeline, and even with 1-2 coming through per season, find it easy to get overwhelmed. Leads to guys like Galindo.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Going to piggyback on this old thread instead of starting a new one, same question, who to cut? I have a (good) problem, but still a problem. Now that I am promoting into LL II I feel like I have to put more and more of my best developed talent on the field in order to compete, but these leads to problems developing my youngsters, especially the guys who don't have a clear position and are nominally behind guys who are still in their prime. So the choices:

Do I cut Mendoza, because it is very hard to figure out where he goes, and he isn't getting PT because of that? Do I cut Kennedy because he has already started to decline and his bat was never a true plus (though it was not a negative either this past season)? Do I cut Guzman since he is not elite at any skill, is done developing, and is in an extremely crowded and talented outfield? Do I cut Bentley since I am getting to a level where his bat is truly becoming a liability, but his speed and range on defense continue to be major assets?

Do I cut Hutchinson or Gray as both will be 32 and in steep decline, but both had career seasons this season? Do I cut Kent, he will start losing velocity (the skill that was his major plus) this off-season? Or do I go the other route and cut Latham for an underwelming rookie season? Also, Andujar looks like he is never going to get better than his current numbers, which is disheartening with that skillset?

I only have a couple of minor leaguers I'm even willing to consider cutting, so most space clearing is going to have to come from the ML roster.

Sorry for the exceedingly long post, but I wanted to give short reasons with each, because some of them on first glance may make me look nuts for thinking about cutting them. I'd like to clear 2 to 4 players from those listed, just trying to decide which ones.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't see Mendoza ever really playing for you in the outfield.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Neither do I, especially with one starting outfielder younger than him who is already better, another one year older, and better outfield prospects in the minors who would replace the older guys like Doyle. Thanks garf!

Anyone else have an opinion on my questions?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with Mendoza. Always hurts to cut a POT 14 with great batting potential, but I doubt he is ever going to reach that potential...

Kennedy is definitely a weird one. He has done considerably better since you've promoted to higher levels and his skills have started to decline... Kind of backwards... I'd probably wait to see how much he declines this year.

I think Guzman depends on how much you like to platoon. A lefty OF is worthwhile to have. Wallace didn't do so hot last year against lefties. Of course you have both Lee and Poole developing who don't seem any worse.

I think you know what my opinion on Bentley would be ;)

Hutchinson has an average FIP, and a mediocre K/BB ratio. But his GB/FB and WHIP are really good. Maybe wait to see if his velocity or Movement fall off during the offseason. But it he doesn't drop much I'd probably keep him.

Gray looks a little less impressive, but again, he has been getting the job done.

At 29, Kent still has a couple years left in the tank. I'd hold onto him.

Its hard to tell if Latham will grow into anything good, but a 5.16 FIP with under 1.5 WHIP isn't so horrible for a guy that started the SI with 85 SI (a lot of it in defense). I imagine he will get better.

At 27 you do start to worry about hanging onto a guy for too long. At the same time Andujar still has room for development. Sometimes it just takes one good pop to turn a guy around. His WHIP was definitely disappointing last year. I think his improvement will hinge on his Movement growth. He will also improve a lot if he manages another pop in Velocity.

I would probably recommend cutting Bentley and Mendoza. If you find you aren't using Guzman next year than he should be high on the chopping block. With 12 pitchers you could easily ditch one. I'd probably wait to see how Gray and Hutchinson undevelop this offseason. Gray has better SI numbers, but Hutchinson has performed a little better in the past. So I would lean towards cutting Gray.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Solid, thanks Rock!

Not that it matters, but I haven't purposefully played Wallace in the OF since early 2024. He has come in to pinch hit or played for someone injured in his OF appearances this season. Wallace in my book is only fit for 1B or DH at this point. Guzman and Poole start against lefties and righties, while Lee and Mendoza platoon the third spot. Bentley has been benched, with Doyle taking over, vacating his long-time stranglehold of all LF playing time.

I should add, I'm not cutting anyone until after the decline in skills actually happens, but I am trying to figure out my priority list now so that I know what my options are given whatever declines occur.

Edit: By the way the statement on Andujar being done growing in SI is something I'm pretty confident about because he has not popped a skill since week 4 or 5 this season, and he is within the range of possible ending numbers on all the scouted comments. I think he is yet another player on my team who never developed to his potential bar, which I get a lot of for some reason. See former players Brett Burke and Yama*beep*a, along with current players Guzman, Andujar, and I'm concerned about Latham.

Updated Wednesday, January 20 2016 @ 3:41:08 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
BTW, I didn't cross check any of my suggestion against your current position coverage. Assumed you would do that yourself. Might not make sense to cut two OF if you move Doyle over to 2B and use Wallace at 1B...

As far as guys who stop growing, Nishimura is an interesting example. In 2023 with 157 innings under his belt he grew exactly 0 SI. Then in 2024 with 95 innings at the age of 27 he popped 2 SI. Too further complicate matters he popped an additional 2 SI at the age of 28. Given I've had a guy pop 4 SI after going over a year without popping, I wouldn't be so convinced that Andujar is done. Also, Nishimura was recommended for promotion to the majors at the age of 24, so I know he had full training...

EDIT: Not saying you should keep him. Just saying its still possible to pop.

Updated Wednesday, January 20 2016 @ 4:39:39 pm PST
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Commenting only on your guys you've mentioned without looking any any of your roster:

Mendoza having not finished AA or even touched AAA then he's a 13 pot in reality, viewing it like that then he's just blocking AB's from someone better, he looks like an LF/1B to me at best anyhow

Kennedy - if you have another backup SS then boot him, if not then he's a very solid one who I'd also be comfortable with playing any of the OF spots if needed

Guzman - accept he's become another 13 pot guy, still looks like a good fit in LF, good power numbers

Bentley - gold glove 2B with some pop, but the other numbers hurt a bit, probably best as a bench bat in my view unless you can platoon him

Hutchison - good but not great, if you have a rookie P needing innings then I'd cut him to make room

Gray - better than Hutchison, if you need an LHS this if your man, but if you have another then cut him loose

Kent - good looking MR, you'd be doing yourself a dis-service by losing him

Latham - gained 11 SI with limited innings this year, if you're able to get him more innings he'll get close to max this season, high fielding stats and uninspiring numbers thus far are red flags for him though

Andujar - due to the limited AAA stint I feel you could be right about him being maxed out, 5th start at this point although probably cut Hutchison and Gray before him based on performance and versatility

Previous Page | Show All |