Help

Forum >> Help >> Hitting   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I've noticed that my hitting has taken a major drop from last season. From a .251 BA to a .227 BA, there has had to be a big change. There was a big change. We promoted from III.3 to II.2. I realize the players are facing better pitching, but I thought that they would get adjusted to those pitchers as the season goes on, but it hasn't happened. I don't know what to do about those players that are hitting so poorly.

Is it time to release them? Here is the list of players:

Khalil Holloway

Chung Ho Jeon

Seung Yeoul Hwang

Brandon McCarty

Randall Cannon

There are more players that hitting poorly, but they're either rookies or guys that haven't played 33 games yet.

Updated Sunday, December 27 2015 @ 12:20:59 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not a fan of guys without at least "very good hitter" scout reports. I only take "good hitter" guys if they have a lot of other positive traits I want.

Cannon would have made a really nice SS, but it might not be worth the pain of retraining him at this point... With his 14 POT he still might make a decent CF; I'm just a Hitting snob I suppose.

I'm not sure what's going on with McCarty, but he has hit the magical decaying number... Maybe he is suffering from aging? I'd probably keep him around to see if he can turn it around. At the least, I would cut him last. I've found that guys with low Bat Control can be a bit Jekyll and Hyde. Its kind of like the batting equivalent of Control.

The other three I wouldn't have picked up in the first place. None of them look like they've been big offensive contributors historically, and being a Hitting snob I wouldn't have even considered them.

Updated Sunday, December 27 2015 @ 7:20:09 pm PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like Halloway. His power numbers are still great. All he needs to do is find more holes on the few ground balls he hits and he won't be far behind his norm. His ability to steal a good number of bases even though he's not that fast (15) adds to his value. Hold.

Jeon on the other hand doesn't look too promising. His skillset stalled out ten points below what you were hoping for. He hits way too many groundballs to take advantage of his supposed power, which didn't pan out anyway. He's an easy release (says someone who didn't invest 8 seasons on him).

For Seung the situation's a bit sticky. I guess I would ask whether or not you'd be happy if he continued performing at his career numbers the next couple of seasons while still playing a mean outfield. If you're good with that (bad pun alert), I'd say go ahead and Hwang in there.

You're kidding with McCarty, right? Don't panic. Four productive seasons in III demand you give him at least the rest of the season. He's only 30. If his skills diminished significantly, that's just wrong.

Finally, "The Glove" Cannon is a pretty funny nickname even if it accurately describes his prowess in the outfield. I like it. Moreover, I like him. He only has 342 major league at bats. He probably won't ever be a superstar, but his outfield coverage should more than make up for it. There's no chance I'd cut him yet.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I forgot to post Fabio Lima in that list.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
First off, let me preface this by saying you shouldn't expect your guys to "adjust" to LL2 pitching over the course of the season. It doesn't work that way. The sim just pits your numbers versus the opponents' numbers and produces the results. There's no learning or adaptation involved. It's simply a matter of whether or not your guys have good enough ratings to perform.

Unlike Rock, I don't believe every player needs "very good hitting". Different players have different roles in the lineup. I make sure some are great at hitting, some are great at just getting on base in general, and some are sluggers that can knock guys in. I prefer balance when possible. Sometimes I even give up offense entirely at a couple key positions (like middle infield) for the sake of having strong defense. You don't need all 9 hitters to be successful in order to win. 6 or 7 guys who perform each night will easily be enough as long as you're not getting lit up.

Holloway has power so if nothing else, he might give you a HR every once in a while when you need it. I wouldn't bother playing him at all versus LHP though. Find someone else to platoon there.

Jeon, I don't like. That PD doesn't help him enough when he can't hit for average. If he at at least 14 hitting, he would be golden though.

Hwan is another player who is questionable offensively. I don't expect him to perform well at II... but he still can help you from a defense end of you're desperate there.

McCarty looks competent enough to put up acceptable numbers given a large enough sample. He's got sufficient hitting and power, so I keep him unless you can actually find an upgrade.

Cannon, you have to hope continues to develop a bit and reach that "good hitter" prediction. If he does fill out to that 14POT proper, he might be ok.

Lima is well short of his potential and probably won't ever realize it. At 27, it's probably time to give up on him. He'd do well enough if he could have gotten to where he was supposed to end up... but I just don't see it happening. He really needed a lot more ABs than he got. His current skillset looks a bit weak so I wouldn't expect much better than what he's been putting up at a higher level like yours. Even at III, he didn't look amazing or anything. Good defensive backup at OF maybe... but other than that?

Updated Monday, December 28 2015 @ 11:20:43 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just to note. Cannon is 2 SI away from POT 14, and 1 SI away from "good hitter". So I wouldn't assume he is going to get a ton better than he already is.

I don't expect all my batters to be power hitters, I just want them all to be able to get on base, which seem to require at least "very good hitter". :p

Judging from Lima's development numbers he has had sufficient ABs. He just started underdeveloped (typical of South American prospects in the game).

Updated Monday, December 28 2015 @ 1:19:41 pm PST
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
His ABs looked good in 2023... but a little light for my tastes in the following two seasons. I can't say it would have made a difference... but I don't like having developing players get less than 100 assuming they're playing in the majors the full season.

It also should be noted that you can't really tell from the full year of ABs, so that's a rough guide. What really matters is ABs per update. I'm not even sure what the minimum number you want to give the best chance at a pop. I assume it's something low like 10-15 though.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
ABs look a little on the lean side but like you said it depends on how distributed they are. I was just looking at his SI growth 6, 7, 6, 5, 5; Seems pretty typical to me, so I was guestimating that he didn't suffer developmentally from a lack of ABs last season. We are only half way through 2025 so he is on pace to get the same ABs as 2023.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
As to hitting, does not always need to be any good hitting scout for a player to be a good hitter. My one player, Michael Warner, is one of my solid hitters and all his scouting is he will be outstanding in the field.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Werner if left handed, has good Control, and good Discipline, all of which help to compensate. But the reality is, he wouldn't do so well at LL-2.

Updated Thursday, December 31 2015 @ 6:42:57 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |