Help

Forum >> Help >> Pitching   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey I got some very good SI pitchers but not performing right, The ERA's are pretty high for most of them but we are winning and I dont know if I should make changes since were winning and start losing, but also what is a good ERA in this game. Thank You for the tips
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
A sold ERA would be under 4. A great ERA would be under 3.50. If you're winning, don't make any changes at all to your pitching staff until you start losing.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Pig is right. Or as Crash told Nuke, you don't mess with a winning streak (I'm paraphrasing).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Under 4 is good, but I'm usually happy if they can stay under 5. Looking at your staff, guys with low 5s aren't really doing that badly. At least their FIPs are under 5. It does look like your being forced to make one change though...
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Don't evaluate pitchers solely by their ERA. ERA is a very misleading statistic. A pitcher can throw for 7⅔ scoreless innings then give up a walk, a single, hit his pitch count, and be pulled. The reliever lets both runners score.

Did the starter mess up? Of course not. He didn't allow a single run. Still, he earned 2 due to the rules.

Now you might be thinking 2 runs wouldn't be considered bad of have a high ERA anyway, but we could elevate this from 2 runs given up naturally to 4 earned. This takes his game ERA from something like 2.35 to 4.70. See how that looks a lot different?

On the flip side, a pitcher could record the first two outs and then a runner reaches on an error. The pitcher then goes on to give up 5 runs before getting the last out. Those 5 runs are all unearned, so he has 0 ERA despite all that scoring.

I always look deeper than ERA for determining a pitcher's actual effectiveness.

WHIP is a good measurement tool since it looks at how many runners the pitcher lets reach each inning. I also like when I can see opposing batter statistics

Previous Page | Show All |