Help

Forum >> Help >> Rebuild or not?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
This is true. Virtually all the experienced forum posters believe that the range is weighted by position, but it has never been confirmed by Steve, only implied by various posts and the help which he wrote.

?

Its right in the Rules manual.

This describes the desired defensive skills for each position in the field. Note, position experience will help at each position, but some positions also require more range, fielding or arm strength.

Catcher: The catcher (C) does not field many balls, but is required to try to throw out runners trying to steal bases. For this the catcher should have a good arm. Range and fielding aren't particularly important. Also, because most batters are right handed, being right handed makes this throwing to second base easier.

Second Base: The second basemen (2B) will field a lot of ground balls, line drives and pop ups. The distance to first base is short, so he doesn't need a particularly strong arm to make the throw to first base to force the batter out. Hence, for this position, a player with good range and fielding is required, but not necessarily are strong arm. Additionally, it is helpful to be right handed.

Third Base: Third base (3B) or the "hot corner" will field a fair number of ground balls, line drives and pop ups. The distance to first base is long, so he needs a strong arm to make the throw to first base. Thus, the third baseman needs good fielding and a good arm with some range. Additionally, it is helpful to be right handed.

Etc..
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's not really confirmation, but yes, that's why we all assume its weighted.

Steve has also said that range isn't really calculated the way he would like, he just hasn't had the time to fix it. So the manual may be written with a nod towards how it should work (does IRL) rather than how it is working. I don't believe that's the case, I'm just pointing out that the manual alone shouldn't really be considered confirmation; the manual really implies that the range calculation happens per player (like fielding) which we know is not the case.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Hehe. How is that not confirmation? It flat out says range is more important for some positions, and then spells out which positions.

Check that section of the manual again, and explain to me how there is any ambiguity about the effectiveness of a 19 range 2B and 5 range C vs. a 19 range C and 5 range 2B.

No assumptions need to be made here. Its right in the rules.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Like I said, the manual may be written with a nod towards how it should work (does IRL) rather than how it is working.

Regardless we are nitpicking over 95% or 100% certainty. I don't think its a productive use of our time.

I was angry with Garfscores for continuing to deny that range is an aggregate, but he might not have even been doing that.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
For the record, I'm not insisting range is evenly weighted. I'm insisting it's unclear since Steve never outright said if it was.

I personally err on the side of caution and consider range in positions where it logically should matter more... but wanted to point out that for all we know, it could be irrelevant. I don't want to believe that it is, but we don't have information that says otherwise at the moment.

I know Steve himself isn't even happy with the way he currently has it coded which could suggest range doesn't have the best positional impact in the world... but it also doesn't necessarily mean it's uniformly weighted across position.

In short, we don't know. We won't know until Steve gives a more official answer on the subject.

Also note that there have been things in the manual that were incorrect and had to be fixed before.

Updated Wednesday, December 16 2015 @ 9:14:16 am PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Hehe. How is that not confirmation? It flat out says range is more important for some positions, and then spells out which positions.

Check that section of the manual again, and explain to me how there is any ambiguity about the effectiveness of a 19 range 2B and 5 range C vs. a 19 range C and 5 range 2B.

No assumptions need to be made here. Its right in the rules.

Because it doesn't say that it is weighted, it is implied by the wording, but it does NOT say that it is. Seca, the point of my post was to lay out what we know as facts, your post quotes the stuff I'm talking about, but you ASSUME from the wording that the positions are weighted. It is an assumption that we all make, because it is very heavily implied, but it is not outright confirmed anywhere if you actually read it again.

Note: It is an assumption I hold and tell others as well, and an assumption that informs how I build my team, but it is only an assumption until we have confirmation from Steve.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
You guys. Much concrete. Such sequential. :)

the manual may be written with a nod towards how it should work (does IRL) rather than how it is working.

Is there any other part of the Rules that does not accurately reflect the game? Seems you are picking and choosing.

but you ASSUME from the wording that the positions are weighted

The assumption I'm making is that the Rules are accurate. From there its interpretation. The meaning seems quite clear to me.

When catchers were adjusted to field bunts I asked if this change would make range a useful stat for that position. I received an official reply stating that range was not and would not become an important stat for catchers.

To me, that's confirmation that what the Rules says (pardon me, my interpretation of the rules) is accurate.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
@Seca- oh thank god. I thought I was a crazy person.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

When catchers were adjusted to field bunts I asked if this change would make range a useful stat for that position. I received an official reply stating that range was not and would not become an important stat for catchers.

To me, that's confirmation that what the Rules says (pardon me, my interpretation of the rules) is accurate.

Sorry but this correlation seems like somewhat of a stretch to me...

Just based on what you posted at least (I did not see the original conversation first-hand), this doesn't actually prove anything about range importance. All you've confirmed is that range did not become an important stat for catchers once they began fielding bunts.

But why is it not important? Is it because the range needed to cover for a bunt was considered too insignificant for catcher's range to matter or is it because the sim engine doesn't actually assess the catcher's range soley for this in the first place?

See? That doesn't actually solve anything on the topic.

Again, I'm not saying your claims are wrong... just not proven.

Updated Wednesday, December 16 2015 @ 2:11:21 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Garfscores - Nope. Apparently there are two of you, LOL.

Maybe its because I'm an engineer, but I can't take that as conclusive. There is a LOT of circumstantial evidence which is why we all believe this to be true. Really I'm honestly not sure why we are all arguing the same point.

As for the rules:

Right above the "Setting your Defense" section is the "Setting your Batting Order". So if you take the defense section as law you should take the batting section as law. It clearly states in the batting section that your #5 should have power. But Seca's #5 has only 5 power. So Seca you are playing your #5 batter out of position according to the game engine. Therefore you must be taking the same sort of penalty you would get for playing someone out of position on defense.

A SS should have good range and a #5 batter should have good power. Clearly stated in the rules.

Another rule from the manual:

Salary: manager's yearly salary in US dollars. Note, the minimum manager league salary is $1.0M per season.

I'm only paying mine 0.5M, so I'm breaking the rules...

Updated Wednesday, December 16 2015 @ 3:24:19 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |