Help

Forum >> Help >> Spring Training Management   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have been closely managing my team during spring training this season as I did last season. In real life it is my understanding that managers watch the development of their prospects, choose the opening day roster, and get the veterans in shape for a long season. Is that about the same in this game?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
No, its a little different.

There isn't much motivation for using your veterans in spring training. It won't make them play any better when the season starts. They won't see skill improvements from the playing time.

It is more an opportunity to use some of your younger players. AA, AAA, recent major league call ups. These players will see some skill improvement.

Some of these guys may be auditioning for a job this season. May have some added meaning. Depends on your situation.
DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I figured it is for training and experience, but I had to ask. I have vets that are solid in their positions for the season. I am seeing if some will be okay at a different position, but overall I am playing prospects who need experience.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I actually give preference to Rookie and A ball players over veterans in all but specific circumstances where I am trying to teach an old dog a new trick (position training for 28+ yos).
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, that's a pretty good answer.

Veteran players don't require PT (playing time) to get in shape, so spring games are best used to get some experience for youngsters and determine how they're coming along.

Steve
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I use minor league players during spring training. I have a couple of 25 year old guys playing in spring training right now. I also want to see if they can make the major league roster.

Basically, just play minor leaguers during spring training.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I use the same strategy as Newtman. 1st priority is training new positions in the majors, then training positions for guys in AAA, then guys on my major roster who are still developing, then the rest of my minors (with preference for those learning new positions). Spring training is a great time to get position experience since I don't care if they drop half of the balls hit to them.

EDIT: I also try to rotate players to ensure that everyone in the minors gets at least a certain number of at bats for each week that spring training occurs. It doesn't hurt you to play them out of position just to get them into the lineup.

Updated Tuesday, November 17 2015 @ 4:02:22 pm PST
DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
These ideas presented is how I thought it works. Last spring training I played my veterans for the final few games which turned out to be of no value. I am trying some new positions for my veterans but mostly getting experience for my prospects and stretching out my pitching prospects where I can control their play rather than the minor league games where I don't know how they are being played.
DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
These ideas presented is how I thought it works. Last spring training I played my veterans for the final few games which turned out to be of no value. I am trying some new positions for my veterans but mostly getting experience for my prospects and stretching out my pitching prospects where I can control their play rather than the minor league games where I don't know how they are being played.

Previous Page | Show All |