Help

Forum >> Help >> Biggest Threat?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Krakonico

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My choose with #3 is that he is the higher hitter and the same power than #1, so he can be a good house cleaner. But yet, for a DH, in my team I put someone who has desirable offensive skill and lack on defensive, or is not appropriated for the base he plays.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Speed is one of those things that's hard to measure the benefit of. There is stolen bases...but there aren't a lot of guys that steal enough bases efficiently to really add that much value.

But speed also helps a player move around the bases and avoid double plays. Those aren't necessarily things that are easy to measure with the everyday statistics.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've actually noticed when some of my veterans start to fade, even if they just lose 1 point in speed (and nothing else) their AVG goes down. So that's a way to sort of see the impact of speed on base running.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, but just because Hitting hasn't dropped by a full point due to age, it may have dropped 0.9 points (no red arrow) and be effecting batting average.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a good point. So I guess we are back at guessing the impact of speed :)
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

That' a big selling point for #4. I have a lot of guys in my line-up that have no BC or PD. A guy who can really work pitchers might be my biggest need. But #4 looks steady, not scary. Is that really what you want from a DH?

I sort of build my lineups with a different mindset. I don't care if my DH has any power, because my LF and 2B are prolific sluggers and my CF is on the high end of "decent slugger (16 power). Don't build on major league archetypes, build around the talent you have. If you could use a high BC/high PD guy who will make the pitcher work, then you have your answer.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Just like in the big leagues, if you have a good hitting ss/2b/c/cf...that's great! If you have a good hitting ss/2b/c/cf with lousy defense then you push him to 1b/lf/rf/dh.

Lousy hitting 1b/of/dh tend to get dropped. Hence, like the big leagues, there are good hitters at "defensive" position. But certain positions (i.e. DH) you should/need be get some offensive production out of.

Steve
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
But a high OBP guy is still producing if he is doing that. No need to force the DH to be the HR/RBI guy, because my best power hitters just happen to also be great fielders with huge range. At least that's how I build my lineup.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks all. This thread was more productive than I expected. :)

The speed comment from Steve is appreciated. Its intuitive that speed would help with things like DPs, but its hard to observe that. Good to know.

@ Newtman. I hear you. My team conforms to archetypes fairly closely. My DHs the past few seasons have been more on-base oriented.

Part of the problem is that these listed players are in A ball. They won't be playing with my current roster, so I have to project the needs 5-6 seasons from now. That's part of why I think there is merit in looking for the biggest threat.

I think there is something to be said for not developing DHs at all- there always seem to be old guys available who would fit a particular need. But more fun to try and grow one. There seemed to be a lot of possibilities out there this off-season. The upshot of a higher % of managed teams is more A-AA projects showing up on waivers.
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
my choice would be #2 or #3, probably #3 because 12 PD is not high but is decent, and plus hitting would compensate.

Previous Page | Show All |