Help

Forum >> Help >> Which 1B and DH? And a lineup question.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Have 3 sluggers, but only really space for 2 of them on the roster:

Aaron: http://brokenbat.org/player/63290

Cervantes: http://brokenbat.org/player/78018

Weaver: http://brokenbat.org/player/69144

Initially I thought I'd keep one righty and one lefty, since my lineup is very right-heavy. So I thought Aaron (1B) and Weaver (DH). But I'm not sure if Cervantes slightly stronger numbers are worth the cost (the 18 in hitting seems to be much better than either 16).

Also if you don't mind taking a quick look at my lineup and giving me your thoughts I would really appreciate it. I think I'm getting the hang of it but I'm not 100%.

Thanks!

(Aside) How do you make links with text other than the link itself? I tried HTML but that didn't work...

Updated Tuesday, November 10 2015 @ 4:40:01 am PST
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
For the advice, I'll let more experienced guys speak :)

For the links, try below (delete spaces):
[ url = http://brokenbat.org/player/63290 ]Aaron[ /url ]
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just looking at those three (and not the rest of your team), I'd personally keep them all until you absolutely need to drop one for space or budget reasons. But they are pretty costly, so I can see why you might want to just stick with two. I'm not going to take salary into account in my scouting report.

I'd suggest:

Optimal positions
Aaron - 1B against RH
Cervantes - 1B against LH (maybe DH LH)
Weaver - DH

The Bat Control is a big plus for Weaver and he has shown the ability to produce at LL5. GB/FB ratio is ok. His K/BB ratio isn't great do to the low Discipline, I'm a bit surprised the Bat Control isn't helping out more there. He seems to do ok against RH pitchers. Given a lack of 1b skill and lower defense I would avoid playing him at 1B.

Aaron doesn't have any experience at LL5 which makes him more of a question mark. As a lefty he is a natural choose to hit RH pitchers. His K/BB will probably be similar to Weaver. Probably an average GB/FB ratio (like Weaver) as well. LH pitchers seem to be a challenge for him.

Cervantes has a REALLY good GB/FB ratio. He also hasn't done too bad with his K/BB ratio at LL6 given his low ratings of Bat Control and Discipline. He will probably be similar to the other two in that regard. He also seems to perform ok against RH pitchers.

If you need to drop someone, I think it would be Aaron because Cervantes and Weaver both seem to do ok against RH pitchers, and Aaron look like the least valuable contributor of the three if you disregard his platoon value against RH pitchers.

Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Endrju!

Thanks a ton Rock. You're always there to help :)

I agree, Cervantes does seem to be the most valuable out of the lot. Can't express how surprised I was with his performance when I picked him up last year, it was slightly absurd. Weaver definitely can't play the field, so I guess I would keep Cervantes in there as much as possible and get Aaron to platoon and see how that works. I can always get Cervantes to play 1B against RHP.

I'm actually pretty happy with my lineup and it certainly performed well last year, scoring 5.3 runs per game. I have some speed at the top and then a lot of power bats. Also have a few good prospects close to coming up.

My concern is my pitching...my rotation is okay but I don't think it'll hold up to LL V. And the prospects I have are only okay, so it'll take some luck to turn this part around. Hopefully I have room in the budget, since it'll be hard to drop many others.

Thanks again! I remember you did a full roster and minors review for me when I first started; really appreciated it.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
No problem. Just remember to pay it forward ;)

I actually think Weaver is the surer bet because of his past performance at LL5. Cervantes could end up being better, but you'll have to wait and see. He does have a very impressive GB/FB ratio.

I think you're pitching will be ok. I'd replace Drew the first chance you get. Morton looks good as a closer. Given your LL, I would take a gamble on some of those 12 or 13 POT 25 year old castoffs who could gain 20 SI in their first season in the majors. I'd avoid "fastball will have some pop" guys unless they have an exceptional movement pitch.

Also, you have a LOT of lefty pitchers. These guys suffer against righty hitters which is why some teams avoid them. I think its healthy to have a good mix and use them in appropriate roles.

I would either focus on bringing in some righties for you bullpen, or focus on stocking your hitting roster with lefties and dropping the right field wall height/depth to take advantage of the fact lefties are going to do horrible against your team. If you have mostly lefty hitters and pitchers, you can put a giant green monster in left field which will hurt your opponent's righties, but do little against your lefties. By starting lefties you will primarily be facing righties from your opponent's vs. lefty lineups.

One strategy is alternating estimated pitch order. So with a lot of lefty starters for instance, you would want some righty MRs, lefty Setups, and a righty closer. You have the starters and closer already, maybe move Callahan to MR and look for another righty to help out at MR2. You can put Drew as a LR and Porter as a second LR setup.

Or if you want the handedness options, make Callahan SET2 and Schneider SET1, Drew LR, Porter MR1, and new righty MR2.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Both MR2 and LR would be good places to stick a 25 year old castoff with good potential. If you pick up two guys you can cast off Drew :)
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Will do! Thanks for the advice. I'm currently on the hunt in FA to find a righty or two, I'll try to get my bullpen to be more right heavy (especially with my lineup) but we'll see how long it takes haha.

To be honest I never realized how skewed it was until late last season...

Previous Page | Show All |