Help

Forum >> Help >> Calling up 25 year old minor leaguers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
farmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How close should their skill index be to the max based on their potential before you call them up? And when do you know if they will never reach their max level?
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is not a question that can easily be answered and is mostly a judgment call. Pitchers with the stamina to start can sometimes go as early as the 70s and be fine because the may grow 20-30 a season. I don't usually see hitters gaining that much even as starters. It's been more like 10-20 for me.

You have to just observe how much SI your guys grow per year on average with how you use them and then figure out if they can reach max potential at that rate in 3-4 seasons.

You can never tell for sure if someone will never max because the game is unpredictable... But a 25yo with 60SI is probably a list cause for reaching 15pot :p
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Is he GOING to be 25 next year (and therefore, out of options)?

Some say the rule of thumb is if he's within 20 points of his supposed max, then call him up.

Some say keep him in the minors during next spring training but get him spring training AB's.

Scouting isn't a perfect art and you won't know what his real max is until he stops gaining points.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This guy had 80 SI when promoted at 25... One year and 11 SI later he stunted. So I'm not sure how good the 20 SI rule of thumb is.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock, you have one example of that happening, and few others have any examples. He most likely was an outlier, which would not negate something from being a good rule of thumb. Just saying that because you have that same single case on multiple occasions while several owners have made multiple cases of 20 SI being alright. Bad luck with finding a negative outlier is just that, bad luck.
farmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was wondering in the case of my 24 year old minor leaguers. Douglas should be fine being called up. Wondering what to do with the others?
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is the time to really assess your talent. Will leaving them down really accomplish anything? If a guy is useless at 25, maybe you should give up on him. If he seems like he can play and grow without hurting you, give him a shot.

Previous Page | Show All |