Help

Forum >> Help >> Scouting   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thankfully the type of pitch doesn't have anything to do with the outcome. Does anyone think we would ever have stats available to us based on batter success versus every type of pitch? It would be another area where you'd be clueless and helpless.
CoryCates

Rocket City Trash Pandas
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you all for the input. I have noticed that if a pitchers arsenal says he has a changeup and his change of speed is low in skill points, his stats seem to be less than average. Was just wondering if that's the case or I was reading too much into it. Rock777 answered my other question of how the scout wording gives you an idea of what you can expect as far as skill point numbers in that area. I know some of these questions have been answered before, but they are hard to find sometimes.

Updated Thursday, October 29 2015 @ 3:11:22 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
When I first started playing, I tried to match pitcher's abilities with their pitches, but the last answer I saw from Steve on this was that it is just flavor text right now. So you can just ignore the pitches when evaluating players. Although this could always change in the future.
CoryCates

Rocket City Trash Pandas
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
I wonder Rock777 if it's already changed, because two posts above your last one Steve said it tells the frequency in which he throws those pitches. I would think a pitcher would throw his best pitch the most. Although, there are some pitchers that have a curveball that is stellar, but they throw the fastball the most to set up the curve.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't remember what thread the "flavor text" post was made in. I feel most are taking that comment out of context. (But since I don't know where the post is and I seem to be in the minority, it is probably me that is mistaken).

IIRC the post was made in a thread about the Match Engine. A manager was concerned about pitch selection in the viewer. Ie., throwing a slider 3-0, or a pitcher with bad CoS using his change up in crucial situations. The official response was not to worry, the identity of the pitch shown in the viewer wasn't affecting the pitcher's performance.

There was another thread one time about a pitcher with just 2 pitches listed. There was an official post in that thread (again, I forget the wording - my interpretation / recollection) that said the pitch list reflected the pitcher's skills.

The above post:
The ordering in pitch repertoire is by frequency

is consistent with that - it may actually go further. Fastball will be first on everyone's list. Then look at my starters:

Rosado: 16 CoS, 13 Mov: Change Up, Curveball
Bradley: 10 CoS, 19 Mov: Curveball, Splitter, Change Up
Dawson: 15 CoS, 12 Mov: Circle Change, Curveball
Zappa: 8 CoS, 15 Mov: Slider, Forkball
Esparza: 7 CoS, 18 Mov: Curveball, Circle change

Every pitcher on my roster that has more than a 2 point difference between CoS and Mov has their pitches ordered accordingly. May well be a way to get some insight into how a pitching prospect will develop.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, that's actually what Steve said here. At the time I didn't pick up on the nuance of it reflecting a pitcher's potential. Its actually a way to determine approximate CoS potential on some pitchers. Cool.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, the order can give clues about which skills will be the highest. Can't say much for where it actually lands, but breaking ball before off speed indicates higher mov cap than cos

Don't assume curve last means it's the worst. This is only true if mov is the lowest of the 3.

Current skills may not always be in line with max skills.

If everyone has fastball first, you also can't assume it's the best pitch. Always look at the actual ratings. This is realistic though. If your out pitch is a change, you still throw more fastballs. You just have more cos than vel
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Wait, does it change as they develop, or is it based on potential? If the order changes as they develop then it isn't telling us anything.

From Seca's email I was assuming that I could assume this guy's potential CoS is greater than or equal to his Movement. But you seem to be implying that the order of pitches changes to reflect actual values rather than potential... So his pitch order would have been different before the last update?
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you're talking to me, I never said anything about the order changing. I'm under the impression that it is static.
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I just let go of a pitcher who did not have fastball listed first. His pitch repertoire is; Sinker, Fastball, Curveball. Oddly enough his scouting report is; His fastball can be unhittable. His curveball can be exceptional. His control will always be below average. He may be limited to only a few innings. He has good overall potential.

Carmelo Yanez
for your consideration. He's a catch, a catch 22. Leave him in to get experience for skill pops, but the more you leave him in the more runs he allows. I just couldn't spare the innings or runs to develop him.

Previous Page | Show All |