Help

Forum >> Help >> Downside of training new positions   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I posted a while ago asking about the downside to training your minors in lots of positions. At the time the consensus was that there was no downside. Now I think I have discovered the downside. This guy was 3B/2B/SS at the start of the season. Now he is 3b/2b/ss. Granted he hasn't gotten a lot of games, but players with less games haven't lost their positions. I think the more positions a guy knows, the faster he declines. So be careful before you train in that third position for a player... It could also be tied to a hidden variable. Some guys might just make better utilities.
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you start training a minor league player in a new position as soon as they reach capital positional experience then they'll drop back to lower case pretty quick once they're in the majors and pos xp starts to decay if they're not playing that position. There is still room to grow beyond capping a position. I don't know how much more, or if it affects actual performance or not, but the longer a player trains or plays a position, the longer it will take for them to lose it if they stop playing at that position.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, but this guy lost all three positions despite the fact he got games at each. He actually had 31 games at 3B; still lost the position.
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Izquierdo right? I'm guessing that he just hasn't played enough this season to fully stave off decay and that he's hovering around the tipping point.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
He may have had 31 games, but how many did he come in as a late inning replacement? It might not just be games played, but innings played.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Juggling 3 positions with perfect proficiency is probably an impossible feat. If you play games at one, you decay at others. If you try to split between to balance, they'll all end up lowercase at best.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Izquierdo right? I'm guessing that he just hasn't played enough this season to fully stave off decay and that he's hovering around the tipping point.

This is probably the best explanation. Training one position doesn't hurt your experience at another...but their is opportunity cost. Any if you're not playing that other position, then it gets a little worse every update.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, so the lesson learned, is that by training him in three positions in the minors, he was at the tipping point for all three. Then when he didn't get enough innings in the majors (because he is a backup utility) he lost all three.

So I think the warning stands. Be careful about training in too many positions. There is a real downside after all. Its probably better to make sure you have a lot of experience in two positions so there is some wiggle room if the guy doesn't get a lot of playing time right away. Even if he does get a lot of time at one position, he'll lose the other two. So unless you expect your utility to get a significant amount of games (more than 31) at all three positions, you're likely better to stick with two.

BTW, in terms of when he came in, he has had 110 ABs in 47 games this year. So I'd guess he started in about half of those. 8 at 2B, 6 at SS, 31 at 3B, and 2 at C (probably as a pinch runner).

BTWBTW, I am actually really happy that there is a downside here. It means one more realistic thing that I have to think about when training up my youngsters.

BTWBTWBTW, I would still really like to see the decline shown in the training update. Its difficult to see when this happens because it doesn't show on the roster page. You have to click in, back arrow, click in, each player to check to see if they lost any positions each week. I doubt Izquierdo lost all three positions this week, but I just noticed yesterday.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm going back through my minors and setting guys like this back to just focus on two positions. Nice thing is that Steve has it set to show the primary position for each player (being the one they know best). So its easy to figure out which one I should train first to avoid decay issues. Using the primary position display you can fluctuate back and forth between two positions to get an even amount of experience in both :)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's another guy I didn't notice when he lost his secondary position :(

Previous Page | Show All |