Help

Forum >> Help >> Should I call him up?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@TwoPlums: Were they within 20/25 SI from their peak, or more?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I feel it is worth noting that if you follow Thunder Bay's advice and do a 2 + 2 while the player is in AAA (like Chapman there) you will burn the player's rookie of the year eligibility. Many managers wouldn't care, but for some that is an important consideration.

Other than that, this is very much a do whatever you feel like situation. The marginal return on experience + training at the wrong level vs. training at the correct level is modest for a single update (by my observations). You won't be that far ahead after 2 weeks. More significant after 4. But then there is more experience available in spring training than in the final 2 weeks of the season. A player starting in rookie ball could play in 6 or 7 spring trainings. Getting your best prospects exposure in spring is more beneficial than garbage time in September.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
This is my other concern.

There was an official post some time ago (don't remember the thread or the exact language - correct me if wrong) that said something along the lines of: experience gains are greatest when the player is at recommended level. This seemed to explain why some of those behind-the-curve players that get the 25 yr boot to the majors don't always respond well when IPs and ABs are thrown at them.

Player training seems to be on a clock. A certain player may require 14 updates in AAA b/f getting recommended to the next level. When the player gets called up early, that clock seems to pause. (We've seen AA players spend 6-7 seasons in the majors and still have a AA recommendation).

So let's say you had a 23.5 yr old get a AAA call up, and his internal clock says 14 updates in AAA. If you leave him at AAA he will get a MAJ recommendation after update 9 the following season. If you bring him up for 2 weeks at the end of the season, that pauses his clock - and now he turns 25 b/f getting his MAJ recommendation.

Is that going to mess him up? Dunno. Probably not. Personally I feel way better about a prospect when he gets rec'd rather than a 25 yr boot.

Updated Sunday, October 25 2015 @ 11:20:41 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, that's what makes me nervous. I brought up Casey after this discussion, but now I'm worried I might stifle his power development. "Decent Slugger" can be anywhere from 14-17. I suspect he won't be on the upper end of that scale based on his current growth trend. But even 15 power is 4 away from where he is right now. If he was supposed to max at 16... I'd never know.

I don't need him up right now. He might actually hurt my chances of winning the division (although he did well in his first outing today). Wondering if I should just send him back down...?

Updated Sunday, October 25 2015 @ 3:27:45 pm PDT
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Were they within 20/25 SI from their peak, or more?

Pagan was right in that range. The rest I really couldn't tell you. They moved up and down and I didn't keep track from week to week so it's hard to say what gains came from where.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This is why I think you shouldn't bring a guy up even if he is only 20 SI away from maxing. Nishimura was probably recommended just because he hit 25 yo. I apparently gave him some garbage time when he was 24. At 25 (80 SI) he was promoted. He gained 11 SI in his first year up and then promptly stopped developing, never reaching his potential. He hasn't gained a single SI in two seasons of play. 11 < 20 by quite a bit.
mikkoredsox

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm having a tough time deciding whether to call http://brokenbat.org/player/89824 up.
At 91 SI with 12 POT(96-103) he is 5 off his MIN and 12 off his MAX. He's only 23 and I expect a recommendation mid-season of 2025. He is currently recommended to AAA, but I could insert him immediately into my DH slot. The only reason I'm even considering bringing him up is because of how close he already is. When I say bring him up I suppose I mean for good.
Another reason I haven't brought him up is because of the great hitter scouting. Meaning that he could potentially reach 20, but he is only at 16. I really don't want to stunt that chance.
Any opinions?

Updated Tuesday, October 27 2015 @ 4:00:33 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
No harm in calling that one up.

If for some unforeseen reason his SI stagnates, you can send him back down. But he is so close to reaching potential I can't see it. Adding 4 points of hitting (and fielding) is not difficult through experience.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock the problem is that when they are 25yo or more, the scout stops suggesting when they have learned all at a level.
You could only entrust your istinct and some rule of thumb (20 SI within the peak, for example).

Updated Wednesday, October 28 2015 @ 2:08:30 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Since this thread was originally a question about garbage time, I was just providing an example of where garbage time hurt development even though the player was within 20 SI of max.

Previous Page | Show All |