Help

Forum >> Help >> Rotation thoughts   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Looking for some advice on my rotation. I just picked up http://brokenbat.org/player/91647 on waivers and I'm not sure where to fit him in (or if he fits in at all). I know he's a bit pricey but I'm hoping to make a push for 1st so I'm okay with that.

My big issue is I have too many lefties in my rotation already. I thought he could replace http://brokenbat.org/player/92217, since I want my 4th and 5th to stay in the rotation to develop. However I'm just uncertain how to structure my bullpen after that, and who I should drop (if anyone).

Thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Updated Saturday, October 17 2015 @ 10:27:38 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not a big fan of guys with nothing but control, but at LL-6 he could be useful to you. I'd pop him in for Smith or Callahan. Callahan doesn't project to have any out pitches. Smith's lack of control could be very painful down the stretch.

How many lefty starters you have is less important then your bullpen spread. In fact having a lot of lefties (or righties) means you can design you bullpen more effectively. If you have a lot of lefties like you do, try to get your righties into MR roles. Then get some lefties for setup and a righty closer. That way you are constantly switching between lefties and righties as the game progresses and totally messing up the opposition's lineup.
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Okay thanks Rock. I thought he looked somewhat similar to Parker (http://brokenbat.org/player/77251) who has been my best starter this year. Same changeup with good control and better stamina, but throws from the right side.

I was thinking of dropping Smith as well, since he's done developing and hasn't had many good starts, probably because of the lack of control. He's impressive for a 10 POT but that's about it. I'm hoping Callahan can end up as a good 4-5 starter with a decent fastball and control. Do you think I should try to fit Smith into my bullpen? I'm trying to free up a roster spot, I'm full at 50 after getting the waiver claim. Also thought maybe could drop Drew (http://brokenbat.org/player/83736).The rest of my bullpen has been solid, not the most impressive on paper but getting their jobs done at least this season.

It sure is hard to build a good pitching staff...

Updated Saturday, October 17 2015 @ 10:25:58 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Low control guys can do ok short term, but as you raise in leagues they are really going to hurt you. You could try to put smith in a role for now, but I wouldn't strain to keep him on your roster.

In this game there is a big difference between 14 and 16. All skills can be off by 20% of their actual (from manual), so that 14 might be a 12 even. From what I've seen 16 seems to be enough for a guy to have a good pitch, while 14 seems to get knocked around. That's why I stay away from guys who have the "fastball has some pop" rating. Somewhere between 14 and 16 there seems to be a cutoff for good performance. For that reason I don't think those two guys look alike as much as you are thinking.

Updated Saturday, October 17 2015 @ 12:12:24 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Past performance should be considered in coordination with ratings. One thing to note with Drew, his FIP isn't actually that bad. He has had some bad luck this year. Poor support from his fielders.
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You make some good points Rock. Thanks! I haven't been too happy with Smith, he's been wild all year and I am hoping to move up, so I'm guessing he'll only fall off even harder. Drew's FIP isn't bad and given such a small sample size, I guess he's worth another look. To be honest putting my rotation together for this season was tough, I just got the team last season and all my guys with half decent stamina had no control haha. I would just like to drop someone just in case the waiver wire is kind to me over the next few days.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't upgrade from Drew when you get the chance, but yeah I think Smith is worse.
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well he just gave me 5 scoreless en route to a 1-0 win haha. Can't complain yet :D
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
All skills can be off by 20% of their actual (from manual), so that 14 might be a 12 even.

So the 20% never clears to show off the actual skill level even if you stick with the guy for 2 seasons?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The manual seems to imply that it improves (thus numbers changing in the negative), but I don't know to what point. I'd love an answer to that one. It might help explain what's going on with this guy.

Previous Page | Show All |