Help

Forum >> Help >> Closer   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Will the closer always come in to pitch in the 8th inning if this is his earliest set inning if your team is up by 3 runs or less?

I thought setting to 8th inning means he bails out failed SU's in the 8th if they reach their hook but otherwise only comes in for a 9th inning save situation but it looks like the SU gets insta-pulled when the 8th starts even if he's doing fine?

and if the latter is how it's working what does the game do if a pitcher fails in the 8th inning but you're still winning and your closer was set to start in the 9th?

Just trying to figure out the most efficient inning setting here. Don't want him to come in prematurely but also don't want him banned from coming in when actually needed.

Updated Wednesday, September 23 2015 @ 3:41:52 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If it's a save situation and the game has reached his first inning setting, the closer will come in to pitch (assuming he had enough energy).
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So I should be setting my closer to first inning: 9?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you want your set up guy pitching the 8th, then yes, you should choose the 9th as your closer's first inning.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
But does this mean a MR comes in if the SU reaches his hook even if it's still a save situation?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you set your closer for the ninth inning, he will never come in before that.

As a tangent, I don't think any pitcher ever comes in before the inning chosen in settings. I believe that supersedes everything.

It sounds like you want your closer to come in during emergency eighth inning situations (meaning no set up guy is available), but otherwise not until the ninth. There's no way to do that here.

Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well that kinda sucks considering that's THE way Closers are actually used in real life o.o

It sounds like the actual pitcher setup needs to be re-worked if there's no such thing as a 2-inning save for critical situations without that being the only kind of save.

I'm not sure where to actually put my setting. Neither inning sounds like it'll actually work.

I only have a single SU so using the closer as 9th inning only will definitely cost me... but at the same time, using 8th inning means the closer will consistently be pitching 2 innings an appearance, possibly making it harder to win multiple close games in a row since he'll get drained easier.

I guess the 8th inning setting is technically better but neither option actually "works"

Previous Page | Show All |