Help

Forum >> Help >> Save arms for league games   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Which is a better plan for saving my major league starters arms for league games? Should I call up my minor league starters for a day or pick up some cheap older players just for cup games?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, if you can advance you get extra experience, so I always try to advance. If you're already confident of advancing, then I try to save my best 2 pitchers for league games. But I don't bring up guys who aren't ready. Instead I move in a relief pitcher and reorientate the staff so that one starter is pitching in the 5th game and the other one is unassigned.

Updated Sunday, September 20 2015 @ 5:17:48 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't see why one should "save" arms for league games. There is not an increased chance of injury after a certain amount of innings pitched over the course of a season, only a flat chance that can increase if a pitcher continues pitching when fatigued. I guess to answer the question, I would call up pitchers that were almost ready to promote, either due to age or skill to give them a trial run. If you don't have any pitchers matching that description then I would sign older guys as a last resort, though personally I do neither. You could also do as Rock suggested, though I would be very careful using a low stamina bullpen guy as a starting pitcher, as he could pick up an injury with the minimum hook of 5 and minimum pitch count of 75 that starters have.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well for me, several of my reliefs have more stamina than my starters. I don't really think there is much increased risk of injury using a relief as a starter unless you set his fatigue setting to ++ or something silly like that. A pitcher is a pitcher in this game.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the info. I guess I just assumed that there would be more injury risk with the accumulation of the extra innings.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I am one that does save arms for league. But its a luxury that comes with being an established team.

Accumulation of innings doesn't increase injury chance. However, each time a pitcher takes the mound there is a chance to get hurt. Starters can get 30+ day injuries. To me, it's not good risk-reward using my top starters in cup play.

So my younger pitchers (normally found in the bowels of my bullpen) start cup games. The advantages are:
- more experience for my young guys
- less injury exposure for my established guys
- my top 3 starters are loaded into the chute coming out of every cup break (over the course of the season, this can work out to an extra 3-4 league starts)

This main disadvantage is the team is weaker in cup play.

For a newer team, this approach has less value. Probably don't have the young guys to trot out.

Previous Page | Show All |