Help

Forum >> Help >> Brand new to broken bat...   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
ryandinho

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to broken bat and pretty new to baseball so any help or advice for learning the game and improving would be much appreciated!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Added appropriate title.

Steve
ryandinho

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you! I only realised I hadn't included a title after posting and couldn't find where to add one afterwards.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Check out the Manual to get started and if you have specific questions, ask them here

http://brokenbat.org/rules
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Welcome to the game!

If you have a question about anything, use the "Search" at the top of the page and type a keyword in the forum search. Chances are, there is a long topic with a lot of great ideas that will help you!
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
First off welcome.

Secondly, your pitching staff is in dire straits. I'd suggest finding any pitchers 26 and under with 12+ POT and throwing them in for your 36yo+ guys for this season. Most 24-26yo guys won't reach their potential, but a few might (pitchers gain a lot of skills in the majors generally.)

Last, look to rebuild your minors, particularly your young pitching. If a good or very good pitcher comes up on your draft list... take them, don't even over think it at this point. Of course if you don't draw any, you still need position players too.

Good luck and have fun, m8.
ryandinho

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the advice already. I've been trying to learn a bit more about the game but could do with someone with more expertise to take a look before I do anything further!

Looking at my lineup I'm thinking:

Catcher-Wayne Smiley
First Base-Charlie Landry
Second Base-Justin Johnson
Left Field-Bernie Jenkins
Center Field-Roberto Meléndez

The other positions all require players that aren't currently on my roster. In terms of pitching it doesn't look good either. I am thinking of cutting everyone except Jimmy Williams, Alvin Stark, Sebastián Cabrera and Ichiro Uchida.

Cut C Jon Chambers and 2B Dale Newman and the minors aren't looking too positive so probably most of them as well. Is this too much change at this stage of the game?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Melendez really doesn't have enough range to cover CF. I'd go with more range out there, especially since you have several higher range players you didn't list a position for. Melendez actually has the build of a 3B, although it would be rough training him there at this point (takes two seasons and he would have lots of errors).

Agree with Spoon, there are guys available in free agency that will be flat out better than your 9 and 10 potential pitchers (9 and 10 potential guys max out in the 80s at best in SI). Look for guys 24 and 25 who are as as high in SI as you can find (won't be very high) and start throwing them as stop gaps until you find something better. They will perform no worse than the 34 and 36 year old 12 potential guys who are in 70s and 80s in SI and only getting worse anyways. At least your staff will then go from only getting worse with time to only getting better with time, which is a positive in and of itself.
CoryCates

Rocket City Trash Pandas
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
The best advice I could give is be very patient. This is the most realistic game of baseball you will play. It's tons of fun, but if you think you can get on the game and win a championship in just a couple months you're wrong. You have to develop your minor league system, and look at players as a whole. I've found it takes an entire season just to get used to how all this works, and I knew a lot about baseball when I started. But, I am not trying to discourage you, just trying to get people to get on this game and stay. Look at it as reality....you have just become an owner of a professional baseball team.
A season consists of about two and a half months so look at it realistically. It might take you three or four seasons to become a contender for the division, which will equal about eight to ten months in real time. Of course this all depends on how good your team was when you got them. I picked a last place team that was terrible, but I have made some great strides, but it has taken a while.
So, again be patient and enjoy the game, don't get a team and then never look at it again. This game is awesome once you figure it all out, so look at it as a challenge. Enjoy

Previous Page | Show All |