Help

Forum >> Help >> New Owner Help   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Davicorn

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Looking for advice/help. Look at my team and what should I be looking to do to improve.

Thanks
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You'll probably need to reload some of your pitching (those age 33 and up), get rid of those oldies, you should have a few solid 25 year olds to call up to replace them well.

1B is a big need, fortunately the market should have an upgrade available without needing to claim a 1B.

You might also need to look into replacing your Outfield. There might not be much better on the market, but there should be cheaper options there that could be just as serviceable. The same can be applied to 3B, but I don't believe there's an upgrade there without waivers. I'd say just stick with what you get there.

Suggestions (THESE ARE ONLY MY OPINIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. THE CHOICE IS YOURS WHETHER OR NOT TO FOLLOW THESE OR YOUR OWN PLANNING)

-Cut Ted Decker
-Cut Jeff Davies
-Cut Alex O'Neill
-Cut Rick Patton
(They can be replaced with Valenzuela, Jung, Berry and someone off the market)

Sign a 1B with an SI above 85
Sign an OF with an SI above 95 (If one is available without claims)

Updated Friday, September 4 2015 @ 8:24:38 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
At your league level you want to find some good young guys you can build into a team and compete for promotion. It is a great time to find some talented 24 year old pitchers on the waivers who only have SI in the 50s and 60s, but the potential (12s and up) to be really good. They may do bad this year, but if you start them, they could improve rapidly, gaining anywhere from 12 to 30 SI in a single year.

Burnett: Over the hill. Find a replacement catcher with a good arm who can hit well.

Collins: Find a young prospect with a decent Arm on the waivers or FA.

Hancock: Replace with someone better from FA.

Castellonas: This guy would have made a good catcher or 3B. Unfortunately he is too old to retrain (although he does have some experience training at C, the best you could hope for is a little c in the future). I'd either use him as a DH, put him at 1B, or replace him with someone better. I would definitely NOT play him at 2B given his very low range.

Ward: Worthless, drop him.

Jefferson: Defensive build would be best in the OF. This guy is over the hill though. He might give you one more year, but I'd be looking for a replacement.

Foster: Not good. I'd find a replacement.

Cappelli: I'm not a big fan of guys who don't have a positive Hitting scout report, but this guy could be a decent 3B for you for a while. This is one guy I would keep.

Navarro: His age is starting to show, but he should be able to give you a couple more decent years. When you look for your future SS you might want to try and get someone with a little more fielding, but otherwise this guy has a good SS build.

Benitez: This guy isn't going to develop much more. He will always be severely underdeveloped. Look for a replacement.

Berry: Age starting to show. I suspect he is about ready for retirement.

Sullivan: Whoever ran this team before you didn't do a good job of putting people in the right positions. Most of the players are built to play other positions better than the one they are in. An OF needs range. This guy should be a 3B. Also he is old and bad. Replace him.

Bernal: Not very good, and that little "of" is disturbing for a 29 year old player.

Newton: Another old guy who doesn't know his position! Newton would be much better at 1B or 3B (or even catcher despite a mediocre arm), but given his age, maybe use him as your DH?

Cepeda: Another guy without a primary position... Not the best build for the OF, but probably worth keeping around until you find better players.

Dyer: Looks like he was promoted too soon. He's not going to improve much. Still, he has a decent build for an OF. Another guy you can keep around until you find better players.

Decker: Needs a walker. Please give him some peace. RIP

Schwartz: Another pitcher in decline. Time for retirement.

Davies: You might get one more year out of him, but really he should be retired too.

O'Neill: Retire.

Patton: Retire.

Carey: He isn't very good because he doesn't have any pitches. Control is great, but you need to have at least one pitch (velocity, CoS, Movement).

Wagner: He had a bad year last year, and in general POT 11 players won't make it past LL 5. However he might do decent for you in the near term. Keep him around until you have found better players.

Gill: Decent pitcher. His build (high defensive stats, excessively high stamina) isn't optimal, but he is still a decent pitcher. Keep.

Berry: You generally want to replace anyone with a POT 10.

Bell: This guy is a stud! Best guy on your roster. At 27 you'll probably get 5-6 more years of good performance from him.

Natale: Guys with bad control are going to be short term solutions for you. Guys with 10 POT...

Viciedo: Here is an example of what happens with bad control. He looks pretty good on paper, but his inconsistency will hurt you. However, I would hang on to Viciedo until you have had a chance to replace the horde of walking dead on your pitching staff.

The bad news is the previous owner left you with the Bad News Bears. The good news is you get the build the team up from scratch, which is the fun part anyhow. No where to go but up from here.

To recap your majors:

Studs - Bell (SP)

Keepers - Cappelli (3B), Navarro (SS), Cepeda(OF), Gill (SP)

Fillers - Burnett (C), Castellonas (DH), Jefferson (OF), Newton(1B), Dyer (OF), Davies (SP), Wagner (RP) Viciedo (SP)

Drop - Everyone one else. Find replacements on the FA or in your minors.

EDIT: after reviewing your minors I recommend using Viciedo or Davies as a RP so that you can get those minor leaguers into the starting rotation. Better yet, find another promising 24/25 year old in FA (or waivers) to put at SP and use both Davies and Viciedo in the bullpen.

Updated Friday, September 4 2015 @ 10:10:59 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Now to the minors:

Fossas: For a POT 11 pitcher you are going to want low stamina and really low fielding ratings. He has low stamina, but average defense. He probably won't have an illustrious career, but bring him up and give him a shot. At 26 your coaching staff is recommending you play him in the majors anyhow (see Roster -> Reassign Players).

Valasquez: Drop

Cardenas: Drop

Barker: Drop. Someone sabotaged this team with all these 8 POT rookies...

Valenzuela: This guys could be stud, but he needs major league starting experience NOW! Promote him and put him in a starting slot. He will become a super star pitcher in by the end of this season.

Jung: Ditto on Jung. Make him a major league starter now and he will be a solid pitcher within two years.

Berry: POT 11 with stamina and defense. Probably don't have much of a future.

Musial: Drop

Haas: Drop

Gomez: Drop

Ortiz: Drop

Tejera: Drop

Atkins: Drop

Consuegra: Drop

Escobar: Get this guy trained up as a 3B. He has a very long ways to go in a very short time, but if he can reach his potential he could be a decent 3B.

Cordero: Drop

Preston: Best position would be OF, but there are definitely better options out there for both 1B and OF.

Garza: He will have kind of low Fielding like your current SS, but he could be a decent slot in for either SS or 2B. CF would be better, but given where his current training already lies at his age I'd keep him where he is. Play him at 2B though so you can get him full trained in two positions.

Alaniz: Drop

Palmer: I don't like guys with no Hitting scout report, and he is an 11. Never the less, you could keep him around until you minor system fills back up. He might make a passable OF in a pinch.

McKnight: You need to promote this guy to AA. Keep him around until you have better.

Guzman: Guzman could make a good backup catcher. I'd start grooming him for that. Set his position played in the minors to "C". He will also make a good RF. At 20, you should be able to get him trained up at "C" before he hits the majors, and hopefully he'll maintain his OF (otherwise you'll need maintenance training on that position too). Having a decent C/RF/LF option on your bench will be worthwhile.

Recap:

Promote to Majors - Fossas (RP or drop), Valenzuela (SP!), Jung (SP!), Berry (RP or drop)

Good - Garza (2B/SS), Guzman (OF/C)

Long shots - Escobar(3B), Preston (1B/OF or drop), Palmer (OF), McKnight (OF/1B/3B)

Drop - Everyone else for better guys off FA and waivers.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Your highest priority need is 2B. Garza may be ready soon, but you still should have someone to backup SS and 2B. And you don't have anyone in your major system capable of playing 2B at a competent level. Castellonas can pass as a backup, but his range is pretty horrible as an everyday 2B.

Next priority should be finding a good Catcher to replace Burnett.

Third priority is filling in the team with some good hitting 1B and OF. For these positions it is usually easy to find decent players on the FA or waivers. At the same time look for some decent young pitchers you can put right into your major rotation.

Updated Sunday, September 6 2015 @ 10:46:13 am PDT
Davicorn

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow, thank you both dcm and rock. Rock, I really appreciate your insight.
Davicorn

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Grant Armstrong 2B 23 Free Agent Signee
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Jamie Clements C 25 Free Agent Signee
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Emiliano Cárdenas P 25 Released
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Don Rose P 22 Free Agent Signee
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Julián Acevedo P 22 Free Agent Signee
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Eduardo Lara 1B 21 Free Agent Signee
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Omar Escobar P 17 Latin American Academy Signee
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Christian Robinson 1B 23 Free Agent Signee
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Leonardo Gómez P 21 Released
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Edgar Alaniz OF 23 Released
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Carmelo Ortíz P 19 Released
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Rick Barker P 25 Released
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Xavier Velasquez P 25 Released
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Tomas Macias P 24 Free Agent Signee
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Billy Walker P 23 Free Agent Signee
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Rick Patton P 33 Released
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Alex O`Neill P 34 Released
09/06/15 March 18th 2024 Ted Decker P 35 Released

So after consideration I did release Patton, O'Neill and Decker to get out with the old. Then picked up Walker and Macias to fill those holes. I moved Valenzuela and Jung to the starting rotation. Drafted Escobar but only a 11 POT. Thanks again for your input...
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not a big fan of pitcher with bad control scouting reports. They could do ok for you in the short term, but keep an eye out for guys with better control to replace them with in the future. For now they are at least improvements over what you had before.

A couple other quick tips:

#1 - make sure to get your new signees into the right minor level as suggested by your staff (Roster -> Reassign Players).

#2 - Left handed fielders are going to experience a penalty in any position other than 1B or OF.

Your team already looks much better than when you started. Keep at it :)

Previous Page | Show All |