Help

Forum >> Help >> Managing the next level.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
nelson1805me

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This isn't as much a specific "help" question as much as a general request. I really want to improve my team and win these games. I like baseball and this game is fun. However, I am kind of in a bind in which I don't know how to best manage my team at a high level of competition. I recently promoted and am getting destroyed by even the bots. Last season I did very well simply by managing lineups, but now the other teams are better and more difficult to beat.

My question is then, what are the things the good managers with super successful teams do to make them that way? Something about managing directional hitting? What attributes beyond just ERA help to evaluate the pitchers? How do you increase training speed?

I am really just fishing for keys to success other managers have found about elevating the game from just getting lucky picking good free agents. Thanks for any help you can give!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
First, your team is 7-7 in league and only 2 games behind the division leader, so you’re not doing terribly.

I think in the past, good managers have simply signed superior players as free agents. Now, with unlimited free agency, but a real economy, you probably have to be a little more strategic with your signings (especially in the lower leagues).

Directional hitting is definitely a factor in the game. You’ll have to decide as to when it’s better to platoon two players or when it’s better to just go with one player. Also, I’ve always been a big fan of On Base Percentage (OBP).

In terms of pitching, I would definitely look at WHIP when evaluating pitching talent. ERA can be skewed but one bad outing, so sometimes it’s not the best indicator.

Something that hasn’t been touched on is the player management. Should a player steal more or less or not at all. Same with Hit and Run and Bunting. Also very important is the pitch count and hook on your pitchers. Pitch a guy too long and his performance can really suffer and he could be unavailable for the next game when you really need him.

Steve
nelson1805me

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Right after posting, I looked and I had swept 5 games. :)

Alright thanks for the advice!

Previous Page | Show All |