Help

Forum >> Help >> Team Evaluation   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Since I've noticed a few owners asking for help and getting some really good reviews of their team, I was hoping I could get something similar. Despite having experience in other baseball sims, I spent my first couple seasons knowing absolutely nothing about what I was doing. My ability to evaluate talent was non-existent, so I probably haven't built up the team the best I could. What do I have to look at for the future.

I wanna do things a bit differently though. Instead of just having everyone tell me what to do and what I have, I want to make my own initial pass and then the more experienced players can tell me if I'm right or wrong and add their own thoughts.

I have a couple of people in my majors right now that can probably continue to help, but I really need to clean things up so I can bring in new talent.

I think Emiliano Rivera can still produce for a bit, but I worry his arm is too weak for a catcher. Unfortunately, that's what he was when I inherited the team.

Tommy Mills is okay as a backup catcher... he has the arm, but will ideally be replaced when one of the minors guys I'm training at C become ready.

Alfredo Bellan is getting old and isn't especially skilled. Prime on the list to cut assuming I end up with enough players to fill out my team offensively at the end of all these releases.

Louis Carlton can probably give me another couple years at first as he appears to have good skills and a nice amount of power.

Ken Drake seems to have limited upside only being capable of gaining 7 more points max and having a lot used in defense. At best, he could be a CF but probably won't help enough offensively. Should I just cut him?

Matthew Hall is a disaster... a 30 year old LH 2B. I can't imagine he helps me more than he hurts me... I really need to let him go this off-season.

Jesus Valencia is a mystery to me. He's a middle infielder who doesn't really have the defense to play it nor much offensive capability... he has room to grow, but is already 26. I don't think he'll have time to become serviceable but I really didn't have anyone to play 2B (I tried FA/Waivers this season but lost out on all 2B claims I placed and couldn't find a better FA).

Terry Keith seems very similar to what I said about Drake except already over the hill. Pretty sure I need to cut.

Miguel Campos is a SS without the fielding to effectively play SS. I need to find a replacement.

Jacob Cobb should be good enough defensively to hold a SS position... I'm just hoping he grows a bit offensively while he still can. I don't expect too much though.

Sung Ryong Han probably won't pan out at SS... maybe if he was a RF, but it's getting a bit late to make that happen. Given his offense, I probably should just give up on him.

Jamie Mills is my team's powerhouse at the moment. I'm going to ride him out for as long as he can blast homers.

Alex Adkins seems fine for the time being.

Toni Gomes is maybe best as a DH, but provides solid offense either way.

Andres Jaramillo I'm not sure about... but a a 14-pot guy, he might be able to help me in a season or two.

Neil Farrell may not amount to anything better than a backup really... but still good for that as long as he's cheap.

Now to pitching where I'm severely lacking...

Reggie Byrd is old. He's not very skilled. Even as a reliever, he's probably not a good idea. I'd say he's the first P to cut.

Benito Quinoes is gradually getting worse each season... but if I can't find a bunch of amazing replacements, he'll still probably be one of the best options for my rotation.

Marco Castaneda is another over-the-hill reliever that isn't helping me much.

Craig Stephenson is holding on to a decent SI, but just had a horrible year which makes me worry. He's in a similar boat as Quinoes.

William Phillips is one of the best pitchers in all of Australia... but probably won't give me that many more great years. Still, I think he can hold on for a bit until I can start phasing in better guys.

Leroy Osbourne is probably like Phillips.

Charles Wright hasn't done anything impressive for me, but I need someone to be in the pen.

Ricky Yama*beep*a, I grabbed to be my closer. It works in IV but he struggled a lot in V. He's also near his ceiling.

Martin Mata is someone I hope can grow into a decent starter to clear out one of these old guys... but time will tell there.

On the prospect side of things, I'm debating cutting Lewis Miles. He probably can't get better than back-up tier.

I wanna make Oscar Koch a SS for his range (and lack of O) but am concerned that his fielding might not be able to get good enough.

I most definitely need to drop Ishigami for being 11 POT...

Bonilla is only 12, but might grow into a very good 12 if I'm lucky. Worst case scenario, he should be able to be my new closer in the future.

Carr probably won't become very good, so that's another to cut.

Enatsu and Valdes may be decent, so I'll hold off on them.

And that's about all I got... any thoughts?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd actually consider bringing Hu and Falcon up now. He is getting old and pitchers seem to get their best growth in the majors around 24 or 25 by getting starting appearances.

Rivera doesn't really have a catcher build (as you pointed out low Arm), but he is too old to retrain, and looks like a good player. Maybe DH him a bit? He could also play 1B given his fielding should be enough to offset his lack of 1B experience. He steals nicely and has a good BB/K ratio, but his hitting performance overall isn't as good as you would like to see from a guy with those ratings.

I agree with your assessment of Mills.

I agree with your assessment of Bellan.

You could have also tried making Drake a SS or 2B given his good fielding, but yeah, his batting will probably always be bad.

So Hall doesn't look great, but he seems sufficient for 2B and his batting performance is pretty good (high SLG and high OBP). I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of him unless you have a young guy you want getting ABs.

Hall is definitely a better 2B than Valencia. Valencia is better suited to 3B, but his potential is pretty borderline.

I agree with your assessment of Keith.

Campos could have been a great LF if he reached his potential.

Cobb may be done growing because he got the dreaded "He doesn't have too much room for improvement" tag. Otherwise he would have grown better offensively. Even if is fielding did rise to its potential, his range is very mediocre for a SS. He should be fine as a gap filler, but I'd be on the lookout for a replacement.

Han would probably make a decent 3B and he already has experience there. I would keep pushing him in that direction. He has a very long ways to reach is potential though, and a year without any ABs has really hurt is development.

Agreed on Mills. Just be aware that his BB/K ratio is pretty rough.

Agree on Adkins, but don't let him get in the way of promising young rookies.

Gomes would certainly have been a better C or even 3B. One thing to be careful of, you have a lot of guys with a ton of power to strike out a lot. I'd probably stick Gomes in RF with that arm.

Jaramillo can do ok in the OF, but he would make a really good 3B. Maybe keep pushing that 3B development.

I agree with your assessment of Farrell.

I agree with your assessment of Byrd.

I agree with your assessment of Quinones. He should still have a couple good years.

Yes, I'd cut Castaneda. Bring up one of the 24 year olds, or find something with more upside on FA. Remember those 24-26 year olds can jump 20 points a season if they are starting games.

Stephenson's FIP wasn't bad though. Another guy you will eventually need to replace due to old age, but no rush if you can't find a replacement.

Phillips is your best pitcher. He should be good for a few more years. Hang onto him.

Osbourne is not as good as Phillips. Maybe not as good as Quinones even, but still worth keeping.

Wright isn't going to reach is potential. Guys who are average across the board are dangerous since they don't have an "out pitch". He is reasonable MR fodder until you find better replacements.

I think you reversed your LL numbers :) I'm actually shocked this guy performed well for you this season. It could be a fluke. I'd look for a replacement stat.

Just keep starting him and he should turn out ok. He is wasting a lot of SI on a pointless amount of stamina, but at least his defensive ratings are low. Just be aware, he is going to be one of those guys without a real out pitch (like Wright).

Miles - I don't like guys without a positive hitting scout report, but you seem to. He could make a nice backup catcher with that arm strength.

A lack of O isn't really a prerequisite for SS :) My SS if the best offensive player on my team. But yeah, that seems like the best option for him if you want to keep him. "Solid in the field" should be plenty for a backup. Although I still don't love his offensive prognosis.

I'd drop Ishigami more for his lack of control than his POT, but yeah usually 11s just can't cut it.

Bonilla is going to have killer velocity and killer movement. That means his other ratings will suffer a bit, but low stamina will help compensate a bit. I think he could develop into a very good relief pitcher (maybe a closer even).

I don't like Carr's scouting report, but "major league curveball" is better than "major league fastball". He doesn't project to be great, but there are also a lot worse pitchers out there. Don't be too hasty with his departure until you've found better replacements.

I agree on the last two.

I assume you aren't looking for feedback on the rest because you plan to keep them.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My biggest issue with your team in it's current state is the lack of projected 13+ hitters that you seem to have. I feel like regardless of whether or not you are building a team around raw power, or building a team around gap power, speed, and essentially more of an on base percentage winning condition, you HAVE to have decent enough hitting to make the other aspects of the player work. If a player doesn't look like hes going to get to double digits even, then you have to think that even if the players real SI is higher (remember that what we're seeing is off a little), at best the hitter probably isn't going to put up a better than .230 average. Even with a 17 or 18 into BC/PD that allows for a higher percentage of walks, that on base is not going to be that big (.330 at best, more likely an 80 point differential. 500 AB's that you hit .230 into is 115 at bats, and with good power and BC at best the % of extra base hits is probably 50/50 singles/xbh. So you'd be looking at a guy with probably 58 singles, 30 doubles, 3 triples, and 25 HR's. so in order for that kind of player to work, he would literally need something like 13 BC, 17 PD, 17 power to work. not very easy to do.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks, guys.

No idea why I didn't give Han more ABs... especially once I knew I wasn't gonna promote. Big oversight on my part.

I don't *like* guys without positive hitting... I just end up with them a lot xp

@Fury: I definitely haven't drafted well these past 2 seasons and the team had most like 11s and 12s in the farm when I picked it up. That's why I decided to take a full look over and see what I can hack away to maybe make room for players I need to add through FA or something.

Also hoping if I'm mis-evaluating my talent, I can get that sorted before I hold onto guys who are going nowhere or cutting people who could be helpful.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Now is the time to go through as much of the free agent pool as you can stomach and bookmark the prospects that represent upgrades over the guys in your system that aren't likely to be worth the time invested. You won't get the majority of guys you target, but if you're thorough and do your due diligence, you can build a respectable farm system in short order. Once you have that base of talent in the fold, you can incrementally upgrade the weakest players. Over time, you'll build a good stable of talent.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Probably worth paying extra attention to the 23 - 25 yo pool too, as you have the luxury of getting them playing time in the majors right now.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I usually search for anyone under 26 when doing FA searches
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You can honestly search for just about anything.

My strategy in FA was to find the one or two veterans i could grab, no matter their age, that i thought could provide me with the offense needed to do the job. Last season, it was Darnel Bush hitting a 1.000 ops across 149 games, Juan Rangel hitting an .834 ops across 135 games, and Hector Page cleaning it up with 57 games down the stretch at .913 ops. I had contributions from Billy Freeman at an .867 ops and 2-3 others in the mid to high 700's in various AB's to help me carry the younger guys on the team. Had 2 OF, a C, and a 3B get significant AB's and not hit above .700 ops, and a 2nd young 3B that i gave up on had a .500 ops. They combined for almost 1150 AB's, which is why i won that season's D.VI by only 10 games. This season that same group that wasn't hitting .700 ops was now averaging closer to .730 ops as a group in a higher division, and i phased out all but Darnel Bush whom did not hit 1.000 ops, but still a very solid .870 ops. Rangel was available for acquisition most of the season.

JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I've barely read your opinions of your players - just for comparison I'll give you a completely independent review of them to see how they compare.

ML Bats:

Rivera: Under performing for his SI, at the wrong position, but I'd be using him as 1B/DH? 3rd string C
Mills - OK as a back up C, good defensively, but should be able to upgrade
Bellan - move on, let Rivera take those 1B/DH at bats
Carlton - under performing again but worth holding onto - he's not the best 3B, but he's an option to use there in my books
Drake - biggest tool is speed which he hasn't been using - he'd be a good defensive LF/4th OF - wasted at DH
Hall - better at LF than 2B but if you can't find other 2B's then a good platoon option until you get a minor leaguer come through
Valencia - needs a lot of AB's or is just blocking a roster spot, marginal either way due to his range
Keith - mostly move on from due to his age, good defensively but you could get someone younger with better offensive numbers
Campos - should be playing every day to get his AB's up - ideal position in my eyes in LF due to his range, but he's not the worst SS out there.
Cobb - good defensively, he's been broken but because of his D is worth hanging onto as a bench bat/defensive replacement at the very least
Han - with that arm he should be a lock at 3B and see what he can do with a full season there, he's a bit under developed but I really like his profile
Mills - great power, good 4/5 hitter, arm is a bit weak for a CF but I'd play him there
Adkins - solid member of your line up, I'd have him as a RF although range is a touch low but usable
Gomes - Its probably not too late to train him as a C, either way he's a keeper
Jaramillo - I like his build, keep those every day AB's going, same theme in range lacking but good as an RF or 3B due to range - or throw him in as C and let his use that cannon for a arm
Farrell - see most of the above! Get him as many AB's as you can in whichever space you need him - let him train there and make a few mistakes

ML Pitching:
Byrd - he's going to drop a lot of SI very soon, you'll get a 25-27 Y/O with similar SI who will gain more rather than lose them like he will. Shouldn't be too much competition for someone with 70+SI in that age range
Quinones - solid innings eater, keep for a couple more seasons
Casteneda - wow that's a lot of innings for a reliever! Throw out all the waiver claims you can to see if you can upgrade, but not urgent, he's doing ok
Stephenson - not his flashest season but he'll bounce back - good mid rotation starter
Phillips - keep, no questions asked
Osborne - another keeper
Wright - not a great season but I'm seeing a theme where your relievers are getting used a lot - try putting bigger hooks on your starters, and maybe carry an extra reliever. Wright is worth hanging onto
Yama*beep*a - ok for an 11Pot, set up guy perhaps
Mata - likely to be your future ace, good build and potential

Minors - Hitting:
Maya - good 2B for next season, let him have the reigns!
Kim - Future SS with a bit more development
Finley - platoon 3B/OF
Koch - he will be a super star defense first SS, very solid future piece
Oliver - if he doesn't use his speed he might be a defense first 4th OF?
Gutierrez - you should immediately trade him to the Missoula Polar Bears.
Castro - OF'r in my books due to the fielding comment - quite similar to some of your others without the upside
Miles - future C?
White - I like him as your future 2B with the training you've got on him
Lawson - good CF, he'll go far
Chun - 2B/SS to me, you're going to have a solid core of players there

Minors - Pitching
Falcon - exactly the sort of guy you'll be hunting for in the waiver wire - if you can afford to start him then he'll gain a LOT of SI
Santos - you can include him in the trade to the Polar Bears if you like
Hu - see Falcon!
Ishigami - lock of control and 11Pot, I'd move on
Enatsu - Very good future reliever, I like the low fielding points
Carr - I don't dislike him, see how he progresses
Valdes - almost as good as Enatsu
Futagawa - trade to Polar Bears ASAP
Chin - he has the potential to be the best 13Pot guy I've seen
Bonilla - another good future reliever
DeLeon - yet another good pitching prospect!

Your minors are well stocked, I'd look at upgrading some of your major league guys with vets, doesn't really matter how old as they're only going to be replaced in the near future by some of your prospects. I think you should just look at vets with specific traits - you've got good power, maybe just a few guys with high hitting in the defensive spots you're lacking would be enough to see you through.

Updated Tuesday, August 18 2015 @ 12:50:04 pm PDT
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks!

Previous Page | Show All |