Help

Forum >> Help >> not sure what to do with pitching/minors help   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
HoHoTDoG

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
what do i do? it was really bad before and is still not so good, i keep trying for better pitchers and i lose all the time so i try and do what i can

all my pitchers in minor are a long aways, and my hitting is pretty much hitting it's prime although a few are leaving it

oh and can you rate my minors please if you have the time, thank u
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Pitching:

I see you recently picked up Ryan Berry. To be honest, I'm not sure why you did. He has bad skills and is 33 so they will only get worse. He also doesn't put up good numbers (never has). I'd cut him immediately.

Joel Stone: Terrible skills + he was starting with horrible stamina. I see you have him as unassigned. He needs to be dropped.

These are just two examples of a general theme that I am seeing with your team. So here are some guidelines you should be following.

1) Favor your younger, high potential players.

2) Move on from you low potential players. 11 SI and under is pretty bad. You can find some decent 12 SI guys but these generally won't do much for your squad. Ivan Johns is an example of this. He's pretty much achieved his potential, and 75 is horrible. His pitching skillsaren't good and his stats are atrocious. I'd cut your older players first and then your young, low potential player should be next.

3) Fix your Minors. I see a bunch of players with the "He may have learned all he can at this level of competition." in their scouting report. Go to the 'Minors' tab and on the bottom click 'Reassign players'. Broken Bat gives the recommended level for each guy so just follow where the website says each guy should be playing.

4) Free agency is closed for the rest of the season. It will open back up in the off season but there will be A LOT of competition. Find a bunch of high SI players as well as decent SI players who have good pitching skills. You might need to do some digging through the waivers to discover some hidden gems, but they are out there. Don't be discouraged if you don't win players. It happens, so put in a lot of waiver claims and make sure you have enough room on your roster for them. So when the off season starts, I'd trim your roster to 45 players and go from there. As you get closer to 50, cut some more and keep building.

Fixing any team takes time. It will be frustrating at first but will pay off as long as you have a plan. So make sure you draft a player each week and keep him only if he has high potential (12 min). Try to find some free agents that will replace your low skill players. And lastly try to favor your younger skilled players. You want them to develop as quickly as possible and will only do so if they get as much playing time as you can give them.

Updated Friday, August 14 2015 @ 8:55:57 pm PDT
HoHoTDoG

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
thank u for the response

i forgot that my guys yesterday learned all they can, my problem is the one guy is a OF and he's ready to go to the majors. I have 1 guy that is past his "prime" in his 30s -http://brokenbat.org/player/74027, should i drop him and put Fingers in his spot? or can Fingers gain si on the bench?

i also tried picking up every pitcher i could that made sense for my team, i guess ill just try and find potential pitchers and hope i dont get relegated although if it happens i think my hitting would be very good for league 6.
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Rather than having me give an answer, see if you can figure out what to do on your own.

What is your long term plan? This should be to build around your top talent in the minor leagues or if they just graduated. You want to give your high potential guys playing time immediately. Players will continue to 'train' while sitting in the bench but they gain a lot more through experience when they actually play.

What is your short term goal? If you want to win your division now then you put out the best possible team, which probably means leaving your older player in the lineup rather than the kid. If your short term plan is to develop your younger kids so that you can have a better, well balanced team 2-3 seasons from now then you should drop your 'older' players in favor of younger kids.

Barrett was a very high potential player who unfortunately never came close to realizing his full potential. If you look at his stats you can see why he never reached it. From ages 24-27 he was getting very minimal at bats in the majors. Had he been installed as a starter and left in the lineup he could have had anywhere from 500-600 AB per season and would have improved talent-wise at a much faster and greater pace.

Second question you need to ask yourself is if your younger talent is actually worth the investment. So you need to read their scouting report and project what their final skills will look like and if this is something that can fit in with your team. I'm assuming you were referring to Nate Fingers in your last post? To me, he seems like he can develop into a back up outfielder. This is due to him having no hitting scouting report. If he is your best option in left field going forward then you should play him. If you have other guys who will be ready 2-3 seasons from now or even an extra bat that you need to put in left field in order to get him into your lineup, that could take priority over the kid.

http://brokenbat.org/player/87382

He is a similar player to Fingers. I never viewed him as a starter and barely gave him any playing time. He's progressed slowly over the years. But that is fine to me because his value on my team is being a low cost backup infielder. So try to project what your young talent will look like in the future and how that will fit in with the overall outlook of your roster.
HoHoTDoG

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you for your posT

I will project my minors and see if it's worth building for the future, since everyone is in Rookie or A and probably wont be up for 4-5 seasons at least.

I have alot to think about this offseason

Previous Page | Show All |