Help

Forum >> Help >> Offensive Strategy   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry for going too far with that guys season. I didn't mean to say that he was a bad player, I simply said that I had expected that someone with that SI would have a better average. It just shows the common fallacy that average is the only/best measure of a hitter's ability, which is definitely not true. He's just more like a Broken Bat version of Carlos Santana with less pop and a higher average. I guess what I was trying to figure out is with my team's position, is it more worthwhile to try to find a guy that will hit .245 with 20-25 bombs or .245 with a .330 OBP and, I don't know, 5 dingers?

Updated Wednesday, August 12 2015 @ 7:18:13 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I can attest that power doesn't equal dingers. But in generally the more points they have in their hitting stats, the better they will likely do. That why I explicitly look for slower players with low range when I am filling my infield corners. Those guys will be pumping more SI into their batting ratings and should become better hitters. Unless they just suck like Norris or Ayers...

Updated Wednesday, August 12 2015 @ 7:23:39 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So the reason I went the route of showing Canales was to provide a counter-example to the power lobby. Personally I like to have a good mix of OBP and power hitters.

That is why for most of the season I had Reyna, Canales, Wallace, Carr, and Krause getting on base in front of Doyle and Randolph.

If you want to talk disappointing players, look no further than Kennedy and Kirby. They are backups for a reason. Debating cutting them this off-season and letting young players take their spots, but hesitant to make the transition too soon since Kennedy and Kirby are still early in their peaks.

Updated Wednesday, August 12 2015 @ 7:34:39 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Kirby looks a lot like Norris...
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock777, So I took your advice and got rid of my 11's. Not going to worry about my 12 POTs until after the season ends and I can get replacements. Since you like Kaufman and Dennis (I do too), I cut Fernandez and am moving Kaufman to first so Dennis gets his time in. It may not be the best move, but my team is as good as eliminated from the playoffs this year. Summerville isn't gonna go 0-13 and I'm not going to go 13-0, so I might as well give these guys some chances.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well Kaufman is maxed out, so you might want to spend the last few games giving younger guys ABs. It might be worth trying Walsh out at 1B since I don't think his Range is going to cut it for middle infield. Marino isn't the best middle infielder choice, but he would be better than Walsh, and his Arm is a little weak for a catcher.

Looking at your OFs, a lot of them have better 2B builds: Lots of range, good fielding, and a low Arm.

Then again, promising 2B and OFs are pretty easy to find on FA. the Really hard position to fill is SS, where you want all three defensive attributes to be high.
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock777 Since my outfielders do have second base type builds (some of them do, anyway) would it be worth it to play one of them at second and move Vitale to the outfield? For experience purposes?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its probably a little late in their careers to be trying to retrain positions.

Vitale could have been a great CF, but his bat isn't really worth keeping around.

Rojas would have been best at 3B, again his bat isn't really very good.

Defensively MacDonald would be above average everywhere, so he is ok in the OF, again I don't like the lack of a positive hitting scout report.

Meyers is perfect where he is. A prototypical corner OF (LF or RF).

Knight would have been a great C, but should be ok in RF.

Cano would have been much better at C. His low Range is going to hurt in the OF. He could possibly have gotten away at 3B too, but his fielding is a little low for 3B.

White looks like a mediocre 2B defensively. He could always play 1B too. He might be ok in LF, but his Arm is kind of low for an OF in general. And good fielding is better utilized in the infield.

Howe is similar to White, but "he will never be a decent hitter". I avoid those guys like the plague.

Ditto on Madrid.

If you are following the handedness "rule", then the only place you can play lefties is OF and 1B. So a corollary of that is that you want to get lots of LH OFs and 1B since most pitchers you will face are RH. I see you have a lot of LH OF prospects, so that is good. Although personally I would prioritize Range over Arm for my OFs.

cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm sensing a trend in about half my Major League players. "Their bat isn't worth it." "They don't have a positive batting scouting report."

I guess I was definitely right that my offense needed a major overhaul. Its a good thing I'm not headed to V next year; I would have gotten killed. I'll just stick Vitale at 2B for the rest of this season. I got rid of Griffey (I should have realized he was my only other 2B option), and I don't want to play anyone way out of position. I'll have to rebuild my offense now. While looking at offensive players in the off season, I'll take into consideration your defensive tips as well. Thanks for taking the time to take a detailed look at my team!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In general, the only places I would consider allowing to have no batting report on my team would be the center of the field (SS, 2B, CF). In those positions defense is so critical that you sometimes have to sacrifice hitting. But you want a SS with all three tools, and CF with excellent range and a good arm, and a 2B with excellent range and good fielding. For the SS I personally think Range is the most critical, but you want his fielding and arm as high as you can possibly get them.

Previous Page | Show All |