Help

Forum >> Help >> When to Promote rookies for Experience?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Ace

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If I have a player that is in the minors but has not yet received the "learned all he can" yet, will it hurt his development to promote him for Experience down the stretch?

I have read that promoting too early can stunt their development a bit as well as leaving them down when they get the green arrow. Is this the case?

PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
You are correct. You bring him up before he is ready, you won't maximize his probable total skills index number. Thereby leaving him a few points short in one or more categories.

That's why we scream at bot teams that play (and thereby ruin) a promising young player by starting them in the majors at 18 ;)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Although if you are just talking about brining them up at the end of the year to get some big league at bats, I'd say you'll be fine. Now isn't too early.
Ace

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes Rock. I am talking about just getting some big league at bats at the end of the season for Major League experience. I thought I saw Steve say something about it before, but was trying to balance ML exp now vs. stunting overall SI. I wont just bring up young players not ready and ruin them, but I think I will bring some up for the year end!

Thanks!
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've given some pretty significant playing time to all the guys on my team 26 or younger while they were recommended AAA. So far I haven't run into any problems as far as stunting anyone, and as long as they get enough AB/IP in the week leading up to the update, it actually gives a pretty good boost to their growth. I don't know about AA guys, I wouldn't risk it, but A or rookie is definitely too young to be calling anyone up.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think that we can definitively say that players get two types of experience. I would also guestimate that some players progress better in the majors than in the minors, and the opposite is probably also true. A decision is probably a player by player decision.

If we use FA/waiver salary reduced bot controlled guys as a standard gauge, 4 seasons is about the timeframe required for a player in the pros to slide a bit in development. I would therefore argue that you need to make your estimate on how much time your guy plays this season, and track the amount of AB's or innings he logs.

For me, anyone within 32 SI of their potential cap in the minors is game for being brought up if i feel they can contribute to my team and therefore log at least half a seasons worth of AB's or half of a starter or relievers load of innings. Harold Sawyer was 32 SI from full cap, and 29 from the average cap for a 12 potential when i brought him up, he has gained his 8 SI for this season already.

A bit of a long winded answer to whether or not September callups are in fact #worth, but it might give you an idea of when you should begin thinking about whether or not a player is a good idea. I tend to stray from my rule when i cant get the guy playing time, or when they don't have the skills to help me.
Toon Squad

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
With September callups, does it matter if it says that they are overmatched?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
No, that simply means they are not at the best training level. For the purposes of playing the final month of the season and then being sent back down at the end of the season it does not matter.

Bolded because if you forget to do this, that is how players are ruined.

Updated Wednesday, August 5 2015 @ 8:29:44 am PDT
Toon Squad

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have two rookies that are 24 that I am promoting now, and one I will promote next season. I have others that I don't have a spot for, so there is no point in promoting them.
Rdub29317

Indianapolis Ducks
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
I had never really considered calling up a prospect before he was ready before seeing this thread, so I'm wondering if a few of my guys could use that experience?

I'm expecting guys like Crane, Fitzpatrick and Fazio to be in the bigs by the start of next season or shortly after. Are they guys that I should bring up?

Also, if I do bring these guys up, should I put them back down in AAA on Thursday night before the update so that they minor league experience, or would them getting ML time mean they wouldn't get minor league training that week?

Previous Page | Show All |