Help

Forum >> Help >> Roster opinion: 3rd day on the job   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Toon Squad

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I am looking for roster opinions. I have signed some stopgap players (Russo,Wynn) to hold me over till prospects are ready. The former owner did not do anything the 2023 draft. Any advice is appreciated.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You have an outside chance of staying up by finishing 4th, so i'll keep some veterans in my suggestions. If you decide to tear down, cutting everyone over 33 is a viable strategy.

Pitching:
Isiah Palmer - Decent veteran, probably can continue to do ok for you, but will not be putting up 3.00-3.50 numbers any more and will drop probably 6-7 SI next season, which is when he should be cut.

Mark Christensen - Cut. He's done fine in limited innings sure, but he's past the point where you can rely on him for anything but long relief, and you can throw just about anyone in that role honestly.

Gary Russo - Quick Trigger to cut if he doesn't pan out. He's probably slightly better than a youngster coming up.

Seung Park - Cut. His advanced pitching statistics and the higher runs means he really is probably more responsible for his runs than his ERA would show you.

Brett Short - Remove from closer role. He might do good as a reliever for you for a few seasons, but he's probably a very short trigger reliever (meaning low hook) given that he can get on the runs of walks.

Gaines - Keep. Probably one of your better pitchers right now.

Cody West - Keep and move to the bullpen, perhaps as a closer. He has low stamina for a starter, coupled with low control means he probably has long AB's, so doesn't get deep into games (2 QS in 43 starts).

Dan Kelley - Move to start. He's going to grow SI still (probably can reach cap). More innings usually means more chances to pop SI. If he can get 4 or 5 pops in pitching ratings by seasons end, he could help you out even more.

Pedro Ramirez - Keep, keep attempting to use as a starter despite the early failures. Same logic as Kelley here, i think the more innings you give him the better payoff you have.

Bauta - I'm personally not a fan of this guys build, but thats personal opinion. In terms of your team, he's worth keeping for the same reasons as Kelley and Ramirez.

Hogan - Keep again. He's going to need some tough love from you. He's about 10 SI from being someone who can win you games, right now he will hurt more than help. Probably someone who has too many points in stamina when he hits his SI cap of just over 100 (my case here would be that 18 stamina doesn't help a guy if he doesn't have the good pitching ratings).

Leonardo Arellano - His stamina plus potential mean he won't be a long term option for you. Nothing wrong with using him until you find a better long term solution, but 11 potential pitchers for me have to have 5-7 stamina to be ideal given that they need every SI point they can get to go to core pitching stats.

FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hitting:
Lee Arnold - Prototypical catcher build. He is what he is at this point, and thats a catcher than can throw guys out and produce. Keep unless you go to D.VI and he commands more than what you would consider reasonable (i'd say that's probably north of 5.0m).

Roberto Uribe - while not stellar at fielding, he is better than some options you have in the range department in the infield, and if you have no options his small SS means he could have a full position training done soon as a SS should you focus your time there. I'm not sure what you have coming up, but keep regardless for now, give him some time to develop better hitting and bat control.

Wynn - Good fielder, terrible stats in limited AB's in his career, and low range that hurts him in most positions. I wouldn't rely on this guy to help you long term, he hasn't shown the ability to play above his means like Uribe has.

Bennett - Same issue as Wynn. His career ops of .569 and his lack of 'stellar' defense make him an option that really isn't viable enough to give everyday AB's to anymore.

Mendez - Small defensive grade because he's DH'd for so long, and really he shouldn't have. He would've been ok at 2B. Regardless, at 30 he is stuck as a DH/OF and i wouldn't keep him for very long once you get some younger talent brought up.

Picco - More of a DH than mendez, and probably worth that spot given his production. Keep him as a DH/1B.

Morgan - mediocre offensively, but defensively is an anchor that you can't safely remove until other players are built up with similar defense. A defense is always worth a .700 ops, it's when they hit .599 ops or less that you can't afford the defense.

Cueller - Not strong enough offensively outside of 2021 in D.VI. Defensively is AWFUL for SS, and i would be more inclined to find a better ops than what he has shown for all but 1 year. I'd cut.

Lewis - average fielding, which isn't great for SS. 3B might be better for him given his best rating is at armstrength. He'll never have high ops numbers outside of limited AB seasons, but if his OBP grows then perhaps he can be a good top of the lineup hitter for you.

Kemp - For his career, he hasn't been that good. You could probably find better than this.

Fujimoto - Awful ops since his ROY. Good range but awful arm would struggle for a spot in my outfield, but thats my specific demands. I've seen some go top flight range and do ok with 10ish arm. The bigger problem is he hasn't yet lived up to his decent hitting grades.

Morse - A pedestrian bat with no armstrength. Easy cut in the short term future.

Noble - Yet another guy who has mediocre defense, especially in the arm department, for the OF. DH/1B is better if his offense is something you are interested in.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't have the time unfortunately to do the entire minors review, but a few notes.

25+ guys are majors ready, so you will need to find them spots in the majors going forward.

10 potential and under simply doesn't cut it for long term prospects development; it ruins the upside of guys you want to depend on down the road to lead your team, the filler players are easily added later. 11 potential only is particularly good on relievers, starters cost too much stamina, fielders normally require a set amount of range/arm/fielding to play their positions that requires a lot of SI. 12 Potential in most areas is good. OF's tend to have higher supply, in the current market conditions. 13 potential is normally a good thing. 14+ is what will be the most likely to carry your team going forward.

Focus on building a good rotation and pen, and then focus on defense. The fewer errors your team makes, the fewer chances a pitcher is going to feel the trouble.

Good Luck, and sorry if some of my evaluations were harsh. I'd say that you have enough young guys that have hit the majors recently to not require a full rebuild, but i still think it will be slightly hard for you to keep up with D.V with what you have.
Toon Squad

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the help. The harshness goes to the former owner, as this is pretty much what I inherited.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll carry on from Fury's good work by going over your minors...

Shepherd - will be an average reliever - there are probably better options out there

Suzuki - absolute stud, I'd see if you can get him to get a small 3b before he graduates.

Parsons is a keeper - I'd probably train him at 3B, his range is a bit low for OF in my books

Cronin will become a good solid No 4/5 pitcher

Felix - I really like him as a 2B, he's only missing a bit of PD currently really

Montoya to be is a 1B/DH type, with LF as a last chance option - worth hanging onto

Vargas - another 2B/LF type, hold until you need to make space for drafting etc, or until he comes up

Arcia - looks like a 3B - slightly odd build but well worth seeing how he pans out - base stealing is a bonus

Patton - 2B/LF build, probably best trained as bench/utility player to make he most of his speed and power, and to cover any injuries - hold onto him for now, train at 2B

Castellanos - fielding skills are very high, you can probably find better in FA or on waivers, might pan out as an average/good MR though

Ordonez - nice pick up, behind in development, but keep him until he's 25 and see where he's at.

Barrera - similar to Castellanos, a touch better overall

Hinojosa - worth a shot, probably an OF to my eye

Blanco - good draft! stud future CF

Good luck, I think your team will develop nicely. Try and fill up your minor league roster as soon as possible to get that extra development happening, remember you can always drop a player once you find better.

P.S. - I like these sort of pitchers - plenty of them around, 12 pot with low fielding skills - have a look around :-)

Don't forget to check the chat feature every now and again too to see whose on - there's often no-one but there's a few knowledgeable people on there sometimes to bounce ideas off :-)

Updated Saturday, July 25 2015 @ 4:38:30 am PDT
Toon Squad

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks JJ!

Previous Page | Show All |