Help

Forum >> Help >> Help in Bloomington   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Threw in the towel at the quarter pole as it was obvious we just weren't going to compete.

Jettisoned just about everyone that wasn't going to be with the club after this season.

Looking for roster opinions, both ML and MiL.

Thank you!
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
IMO, the most important thing to sort out is center-of-the-park defense. A lot of other stuff falls into place once that is established.

CF looks good. Richards is fine, and Lara can step in as back-up. Floyd in AA seems prime to step in.

SS does not look good. I'm guessing you launched your initial SS. Converting Ford is not a good cost / reward proposition. His range & arm are attractive, but he could be 30 by the time he knows his way around SS, and 10 fielding is low for the position.

2B not much better. Ward is competent offensively, but 10 range is low for 2B. Makes your pitching staff work harder.

I got down to A ball(Prieto) before finding a 2B/SS prospect. And his range is a bit on the low side.

This isn't the easiest thing to sort out. I've had my team 6 seasons, and I've yet to draft a proper SS prospect. There are decent middle infielders that show up on waivers, but they are usually older and have large salaries.

This is where I would start tho. Watch for younger guys who can flash some leather in the middle of the field. Build a line of succession in your minors at these positions.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Agree with Seca, your defense sucks and you need to start building from the middle infield. You'll be looking for a positive fielding report and 15+ range for both 2B and SS and a good arm as well at SS. The rest of your team looks like it WILL be good in a few seasons, but as long as you have that void in the middle of your defense you will struggle as early as LL V.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I just picked up a really nice 17 year old 2B prospect so I might be dropping one of my other 2B soon. Probably either Rich or Coppola.

His range is a little low, but Chiba (AA) might be able to play some 2B also. It always best to get good range in the middle 3 though.

Once you deal with SS and 2B I would look to CF pretty quickly given Lara and Richards both have limited shelf life. Now Is the perfect time to pick up a nice LH batter with lots of range and a decent arm who can be ready for the majors in 2-3 years. I'd make sure he at least has good hitting as well. Speed and power are pluses but less critical.

One last tip. You'll notice my 2B prospect is an OF with no experience at 2B. For players 21 and younger I generally just look at their defensive makeup. You can train a guy up in any position within 3-4 years, so they will be ready to play when they hit the majors.

Updated Monday, July 20 2015 @ 2:22:09 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Wondered where Ruiz had landed. Grats Rock777. Good luck with him.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks. Believe it or not he only had 6 claims on him.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you all for the advice! Much appreciated!
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
One of those 6 on Ruiz was me, though I'm looking more for someone who can play SS, and was just as happy someone else signed him.

Often pitching is a complete mess in teams doing a little rebuilding. Bloomington's pitching looks well managed at both the major and minor league level. Means the fix up may be fairly quick.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, Ruiz's arm really isn't good enough for SS.

Previous Page | Show All |