Help

Forum >> Help >> How bad is it to play someone at a position they are not experienced   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
grab46

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I just took over a team. Many players have positions listed that do not seem to match their skills.

For example C with high range and low arm. Seems they would be more appropriate at 2B or OF.

SS with low everything.

So how bad(relatively) is the penalty to play a high range, high field, high arm at say SS if there expected position is 1B. How long until they add or change positon?
grab46

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Even more specific.

http://brokenbat.org/player/74269

Seems a waste at 1B.

Will it affect his play in the OF for which he seems more suited as a lefty with range and arm?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
They will make more errors. But the guy you specify has a small of, which means he has some experience in of. Given he has decent fielding for an OF he will probably do ok, you'll just have to watch him. Also, some players might prefer him as 1B just because his range is somewhat mediocre for OF. It all depends on your teams makeup and your preferences. He should do ok at either position.

Better to play him in RF or LF though. Playing guys out of position at SS, 2B, and CF can result in a good amount of errors. Plus you want your best rangy guy at CF.

Updated Wednesday, July 15 2015 @ 3:28:26 pm PDT
grab46

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks.

I'm sure I will have plenty of more questions.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Depends how old they are and whether you plan to keep them. Are the errors are worth the re training. When I took over my team I repositioned c 1b 2B ss cf. They were all 24-27 years old.
Some of the guys had some experience already but you can roughly expect it to take 160-200 games to go from no experience to small letters and the same to go from small letters to caps. Therefore they should be younger to make that pay off. And yes, my ss committed errors like he got paid every time he booted the ball. If you do train guys at new but more appropriate positions there will probably be a painful learning curve but it may be worth it, especially if you are already not competitive.

So if they are young enough and you are rebuilding/building your own team, it can be very rewarding to watch them improve and then make a run at higher levels with the team you've built.

As far as questions go, never hesitate to ask, the guys will help as best they can. You may get a variety of opinions and advice as there are varying strategies that can be successful. Good luck.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
It's certainly not fatal. It's best to get them some experience in the minors, but position switches in the big leagues are quite feasible.

Keep in mind your teams standing too. Towards the end of the season, perhaps when you're no longer in contention or worried about relegation, you can easily stick in a rookie or out-of-position player and see how they do and get them experience.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |