cmneal2

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Bottom 11th: Peoria
Kennedy takes the mound to pitch.
Nunez draws a walk.
Nunez steals second base.
The outfield is playing shallow.
Alvarez grounds to second base. Alvarez is thrown out at first by Washington. Nunez advances to third base.
The infield draws in and outfield is playing shallow.
May grounds to short stop. May is thrown out at first by Hinojosa. Nunez comes in to score.

Normal 5, Peoria 6

With my infield playing in, it being the bottom half of an extra inning game, why would my short stop go to first on a ground ball to get the 2nd out while allowing the winning run to score without even trying to throw home?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Your SS might have had to layout or charge for the ball. At the same time the runner on 3rd would have been half way home by the time the hitter hit the ball. There was probably a 0% chance of throwing the guy out at home, so the SS just threw it over to 1B.
cmneal2

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was thinking something like that myself, just thought that if he was drawn in and had time to throw across the diamond to first, he at least had a chance to try to get him at home.

afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If there was a force play at home then the fielder has a better chance. But in this case the catcher has to tag the runner so it becomes more difficult to make the out.

More likely in this situation you would see the runner hold at 3B if the ball was hit hard directly at your SS, and the hitter would be out at 1B.
terryhumphreys

Athens Gold
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
the runner on third saw the throw was going low and to the outfield side of first base and then decided to go home knowing the first basemen would be in a bad position to throw home.
cmneal2

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like to think that my fielder just has a really low IQ and thought there was two outs.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
LOL. Are you the Red Sox?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've seen that happen many times here, but it almost never happens in real life at the major league level. The normal exception (that sounds like an oxymoron) is when there's a speedster on third and he decides to go for it immediately after the infielder throws to first. In this case he's kind of fast, but at a 14 speed he isn't blazing fast. I would give this scenario a pass here if I ever saw a double play with the guy getting nabbed at home; I bet that is something that hasn't been programmed as a possibility, though.

In other words, this is something that shouldn't happen.

Fielding and base running oddities happen far too often. My biggest pet peeve is when a team is losing by multiple runs in their last at bat and a runner is gunned down trying to take an extra base. If he isn't the tying or go ahead run, this should never ever hppen. His run is meaningless, so his only task is to get on base and not make an out. Unfortunately this inexcusable blunder happens frequently here.

Updated Monday, July 13 2015 @ 5:24:10 am PDT
itsjustmath

Plymouth Pilgrims
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
The first mistake was not intentionally walking May and setting up the potential double play.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I will look into the frequency for which this happens. Does seem like, if the infield is in, most of the time the fielder will come home -- whether he get the out or not.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |