Help

Forum >> Help >> Pitcher stats   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Float2Kegs

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I looked, rather lazily, for a bit to see if this has been mentioned... but...

Being a stats lover, I've been noticing that my relief pitchers usually get the win. The last game, I beat Melbourne 1-0 in a Cup game... Starting pitcher pitched 6.3 innings. Relief pitcher pitched 2.66 innings. The relief pitcher got the win in the boxscore and stats...

Happens routinely. I don't get it... I just really don't understand... Could someone please explain that to me?
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Win is assigned to the pitcher that is on the mound when the winning team takes the lead and doesn't lose it until the end. You took 1-0 lead in 9th inning, therefore your reliever picked up a win.

I recommend you check the wiki ;)
Float2Kegs

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ah. Thank you. That actually makes sense.

I actually wasn't aware there was a wiki :D Thank you for that as well, haha
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This is exactly why most stat oriented folks don't pay a lot of attention to the win/loss record. It isn't a very good indicator for performance.

My preference has always been to focus on the H/IP ratio, K/BB ratio, and HR allowed. But now we have FIP which is supposed to do a lot of the work for us. Plus Steve added GB/FB which you can pair up with HR allowed for some valuable insights as well.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah win/loss isn't really helpful statwise, as it doesn't necessarily reflect the pitcher's performance. They need to rely on offence to get the wins, or they can pitch 9 innings in a 1-0 loss.
For me 2 most important stats are quality starts and WHIP. I haven't yet learned to read FIP correctly ;)

Updated Saturday, July 4 2015 @ 2:57:16 pm PDT
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball

Win is assigned to the pitcher that is on the mound when the winning team takes the lead and doesn't lose it until the end.

With the caveat that the starter needs to finish the 5th inning to be eligible for the win.

FIP is easy to read ... in theory, it's what the pitchers ERA "should be" without luck/fielding.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Rock777 - just a note...we're still tweaking the new statistics (GB/FB & strikes) so don't overhaul you're entire pitching corps because of it yet.

We'll probably zero out all the 2023 values after the season so that the only the most accurate values are kept going forward.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Good to know.

Previous Page | Show All |