Help

Forum >> Help >> Time to cut some prospects...   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I hit the roster limit this week and now I'm having a hard time deciding which of my minor league prospects to cut, so I need community's help. :)

First of all, please take a look at these three guys - all are nominal SS with one additional learned position:
Lowe
Di Paolo
Cerda
All of them are 13 pot, although their scouting reports differ a bit; all are of similar age, and all are rather slow in development (only Lowe is okayish I guess, and he's the closest to majors at the moment).

Next, please check out these pitchers:
McQueen
George
Hong
In fact, I kinda like these guys but I'm worried they're not gonna reach their potential.

Of these 6 players I mentioned, I suppose I want to cut two - either two position players or one of each (but not two pitchers - at least not at the moment). Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Updated Sunday, June 28 2015 @ 9:20:29 am PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Lowe looks like he would be better in the outfield if you keep him, with the poor fielder scouting report that will be very costly at 2B. Lowe's upside is he has the steal ability. If that upside doesn't count much for you, or your outfield is already crowded, cut him.

Cerda if you decide to keep him looks better at 2B with very good range but a poor arm, that is a bad combo for 3B. His speed is wasted though as he doesn't steal many bases.

Di Paulo of the three linked looks best for 3B where you appear to be training him. His stealing is mediocre for that much speed, but it is a slight plus I'd say.

I personally wouldn't put any of those guys at SS, but if those are your options, and that is the goal I'd hang on to the best projected fielder Di Paulo (though his range will hurt the number of balls he actually gets to and his arm is less than ideal).

Of the pitchers, McQueen looks the weakest as his skill gain is slow and he doesn't look to project a plus pitch of any type given he will have a lot of stamina and is only 12 potential. If McQueen and George are your only two lefties then I might cut Sun Hong because I tend to prefer to keep at least two lefties (just my preference).

I did not give you a strict list of a cut order, because it will depend on your strategy and the rest of your roster which I didn't look at, but I hope the analysis helps.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Whoo!! That is tough.

I would cut Cerda and McQueen. I would cut McQueen because in the approximate year you've had him, he's gained only 3 SI, and he has 12 POT. I would cut Cerda for two reasons. One, his arm is weaker than the other two. He would be an average second basemen or a good outfielder, but he is especially not meant for the left side of the infield with his arm weakness. Two, his plate discipline looks a bit low for this stage in development, especially compared to bat control (I heavily favor PD over BC). However, cases could be made to keep or toss all three shortstops.

Paolo looks like he can be a power hitting left infielder, a strong asset, and he is the best fielder of the three. However, he is only projected at "good" potential compared to the other two "VG" potentials. I have to think that besides his power rating, his hitting attributes will be quite low.

Lowe also has the power potential, even more so than Paolo; however, he with his so-so arm and weak fielding projection, he should either be in the outfield or at first base, probably outfield. His low fielding attribute suggests some better batting attributes than Paolo; however, with an average arm, good range, and excellent speed, he may lose some of those points better found in hitting ratings. Thankfully his report doesn't say "He will never be a decent hitter," because if it did, I wouldn't hesitate to release him. However, his hitting is well below the standard for this stage in development, which is a bit worrisome. I project he will end up with about 10 or 11 hitting. If you remain in level V, you could get away with that, especially with his power and seemingly good PD. However, if you were to move up to IV or especially III, his hitting would probably force you to cut him, so be wary of that.

I already made most of my points on Cerda. His SI is not growing too rapidly; it is not terrible, but it is certainly not improving quickly.

With such similar players, I had to resort to tiebreaker by fielding. You could probably keep any two of those shortstops and be ok. You need to decide what you value most.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
IMHO the Pitchers are OK
None of them is likely to win a Cy Young, but all shall be serviceable, even at an higher level.

Those hitter, however.... Just get rid of them all.
None of them can hit a lick (no scouting report means H<13)
Tons of speed, but not range
Not enough Fielding either, certainky not for a MI.
And they're not young for their league, kinda old rather

You can find better players as FAs even
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the replies, perhaps I should've clarified that none of the position guys I'm asking about is a future starter, I have better options at all positions they can play (SS, 2B and 3B). It's quite possible all of them will be cut eventually, but at the moment I just need to pick the worst ones to free a couple of slots for the next draft. :)
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If the most any of them will be is backups, then I must concur with Frank, cut them all and find better backup hitters. I'm still not sold on McQueen at all due to how slow the SI growth is, but the other two pitchers are as Frank said "serviceable."
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Ok, Cerda is fired now after being lazy in training again.

Lowe must have felt the axe raised above his head so he quickly gained the big 2B and some skill, which means I can train him in outfield now and see how it goes.

The pitchers had a so-so training week and Di Paolo was slacking off so the next cut will probably be one of them. I'll decide after today's draft.

Updated Friday, July 3 2015 @ 3:55:34 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |