Help

Forum >> Help >> Player overmatched?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/87565

I have a question about the above player. He played 2,5 seasons in the Majors while bot was managing the team. He produced above average numbers and had a 100 RBI season last year, yet the game suggests he should play in AA and he is overmatched in the Majors. As I took the team, I don't want him to earn $1,25M per year for playing AA ball.

So the question is, what will this message (overmatched) affect? Will his performance be worse than it should be? Or will he train slower? I don't want him to stop growing if he can be even better next year. I need to know the pros and cons of leaving him in the first team.

Updated Tuesday, June 9 2015 @ 6:16:24 am PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
See his potential says 13? That means theoretically his max skill index (SI) will be between 104 and 111. By promoting early (which the bot tends to do), the player loses out on minor league training, but gains major league experience (the two different types of skill gains). When a player is brought up far too early they almost never get to their full potential in terms of skills, because the training at the major league level is negligible. Thus after they gain all the skill they can through experience they hit their peak, regardless of whether that is anywhere near the scouted potential. Due to variation between players in how much skill they can gain through experience this is more of an art than a science, but my recommendation would be eat the salary at double AA so that in two seasons he will be ready and will peak at a higher skill level. This is where more conservative and aggressive owners differ in player development.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for a very detailed explanation. That's a tougher nut to crack than I originally expected.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Agree with newt. Eat the salary for two seasons in the minors. You will wind up with a much better player in the long run. I would suggest training him in the outfield while he's in the minors. He's got a terrible glove for 2B. He should be a good bat for you. Good luck!
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Great, thanks guys for your advice, I'll take it. I am in no rush to achieve anything (first season here), and although this player would always have a place in my lineup, I'll give him some more time.

Besides, in the prospect rating his ETA is 2023, so if I understand this correctly, during the year the game may decide that he's ready.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The ETA is a brand new feature (added last season) that is based on a formula that is not necessarily accurate, just a warning. The good news is that double A and triple A skill gains tend to be larger than lower minor league levels (though the training gains are highest at whichever level is recommended) so he should gain 7-10 SI each of the next two seasons in the minors. There seems to be a soft cap at age 25 where everyone is recommended for the majors regardless of skill, and training if left in the minors seems (from my and a few others' experience) to be reduced.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Also, you can use the time in the minors to train him at a better position. He doesn't really have a good build for a 2B. And "always a poor fielder" should really be read as "do not play at SS under any circumstance."

He could pass as a decent C, a passable RF, or a 3B with bad fielding (still better than playing at SS or 2B). He could also be a 1B but his skills and handedness make him a better fit for the other positions.

His hitting potential is pretty good so I think he is worth developing him, but really you should find a better position for him. Personally I would recommend C or OF.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
double post...

Updated Tuesday, June 9 2015 @ 2:32:06 pm PDT
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I' would train him as C or corner outfielder, it depends on your needs. Definitley not in the infield.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah that's for sure, first thing I did after sending him to minors is to train him as outfielder.

Bots do weird things with the team, for example my best defensive player played last 3 seasons as DH...
http://brokenbat.org/player/86228

Would make a great SS if he wasn't left-handed.

Previous Page | Show All |