Help

Forum >> Help >> LH Penalty   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
pyrog

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Doing a quick look around the league it looks like players of Perkens' caliber should have about 50 DP's a season while Perkens is usually in the 30's. My SS, Bolden, is a good fielder too and he usually averages in the 50's so it seems to me the LH penalty has something to do with my lack of DP's. Which makes sense.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Which league are you looking at? I looked in your division and I couldn't find anyone really comparable to your 2B. The closest guy was on the Devils with 10 Arm (two greater than yours), and he only has 4 more DP then your 2B. So I'd say your guy is doing pretty good to be only 4 lower than the guy with 2 more arm strength. Your SS, while having a rather weak arm for SS has almost twice as much arm strength as your 2B. Not really comparable.

Updated Thursday, May 21 2015 @ 7:24:19 pm PDT
pyrog

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a good point. Maybe I've been underestimating the importance of arm strength for a 2b.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
That's a good point. Maybe I've been underestimating the importance of arm strength for a 2b.

That long throw to first base?

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you're trying to turn two, I would think arm strength would be important. I believe that's what they're talking about.

And sometimes arm strength does make a difference. When a second baseman makes a play far to his right, he has to fire it across his body and has a good distance to cover.

That's real baseball anyway. I have no idea if it's considered here. Since Steve was the guy with the sarcasm, perhaps it isn't a factor.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes...agreed.

In general (not specifically for double plays), the throws from SS and 3B require a stronger arm more often. So if you have the option, put the better arm on left side of the infield.

Steve

Updated Thursday, May 21 2015 @ 11:36:30 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Your 2B DPs are generally going to fall into two categories: 4-5-3, or 5-4-3. Given the ratio of plays fielded by the SS vs. the 2B, the majority of your DP chances are going to be 5-4-3. The throw in a 5-4-3 is going to be more difficult then you typical SS throw and should require a lot of arm strength to get it over to 1B in time to catch the runner. So yeah, in real life arm strength is very important for 2B making DP. In the game, only Steve knows. I have no idea how to interpret Steve's last comment...

Fielding ability really has nothing to do with DP. IRL at least...

Updated Thursday, May 21 2015 @ 10:53:12 pm PDT
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
6-4-3. SS=6, 3B=5
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Kennedy is a slightly better fielding (less errors) than Ayers. So the penalty seems to be less then 8 points on fielding.

They both have a similar amount of DP per FA, so I don't think the penalty has much affect on DPs. Especially given Kennedy actually has a much worse arm then Ayers.

Kennedy has played ~30 games at 3B since the penalty was revamped, and turned 2-3 DPs in that time. I would have a hard time building an argument on that sample size. Pyrog's low number of DPs from his 2B is more compelling.

Some of the slickest DP combinations and best throwing OFs I've seen didn't have the most sparkling arms, but did have lots of fielding. I've long felt cleanly fielding the ball plays a significant role in these wombo-combo plays.

If that's true, a penalty applied to fielding would reduce the number of DPs and OAs w/o affecting the throwing skill. And if throwing skill isn't affected, no reason to think range is affected.

@Pyrog. Hobbs would make a nice 2B, but he's 2 weeks from being 29 years old. It could take 3+ seasons to learn the position. It is not worth the pain and suffering at this point.
pyrog

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the good discussion. I think the combination of Perkens being a LH and having a below average arm leads to the low DP's. I assume if his arm strength was better being a lefty wouldn't affect him as much and vice versa.

And yes I agree trying to switch positions at this point is probably too late.

Previous Page | Show All |