Help

Forum >> Help >> Need to cut a player, which one?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Let me give my opinion to this fielding debate.

OF see more balls in play than 1B. 1B get like 95% of their plays as throws from other players. They don't field it themselves. Therefore, the ability to field isn't extremely critical... but they still do occasionally have opportunities to make plays. Maybe a weak grounder gets hit on the first base side... or a pop-up over there in foul territory.

OFs don't really field grounders other than balls that already dropped in for hits that they can casually scoop up and throw in. That's way different than a grounder for an IF. The plays OFs have to make are fly balls which are easier to play than grounders, thus demanding less fielding skill. You just have to be able to hold your glove open and catch a ball. The skill in making the play actually comes from your range.

The big question mark here is what the Fielding attribute actually means in Broken Bat. All sims treat this differently. In some, it literally is only grounders... but in others, it's catching balls in general be they grounders, flies, or even balls thrown to them by teammates.

What does BB use? "Fielding: ability to catch a ground or fly ball without making an error."

This clearly stats that fly balls are part of the fielding skill. I don't know if balls thrown to you by other players are (I wouldn't imagine it is, based on the name), but fly balls definitely are. Given this, OFs in BB require more fielding skill than 1Bs do because they'll see more balls (ground + fly). If catching throws WERE a factor, then the 1B might win.

Yeah, I'd say a 1B with decent fielding ability can probably play LF. I wouldn't bank on anything else though since CF need good range and RF need good arm.

From an offensive standpoint, this isn't really a competition either. One player is objectively superior to the other. Given the one who's better defensively won't be able to play any critical defensive positions well enough to make that mean anything, I think the value should be pretty obvious.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My personal opinion - Stockpile the bats.

I am definately a "moneyball" leaning owner, preferring offense over defense because the stats show it to be more valuable (and scarce). But even if you are kind of in the middle of the road about this, I feel like most players in broken bat also prefer bats, meaning they will be much more scarce. I think, if you really needed to find a defensive 1st basemen, you could find one for cheap on the free agent market sooner or later. Or, if you want one for the long term, there are A TON of 12 POT prospects on the free agent market who are there simply because they won't be able to hit, similar to Logan.

I would HIGHLY suggest keeping Castillo is you are set on cutting one of them.

Edit: A good option for a defensive 1st basemen would be this guy. He is two years older than Logan, projected to be a better fielder, better POT, and he is a free agent. I might drop Logan and pick him up.

Updated Monday, April 13 2015 @ 11:44:32 am PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think most people would say they would like a good bat at 1B. Start talking about catcher, 2B, SS, 3B, or CF and you might get a different opinion. I realize the example above was 1B, but to generalize off of possibly the least valuable defensive position is just silly.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That is true
softshoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like Castillo all the way for 1B...... very good hitter, Prolific Slugger, good speed, and no bad fielding scouting report, so he should be a average fielder... I personally like him a lot for a 1B
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think anyone was trying to generalize defensive importance based on the position of 1B, newtman. The only reason people were talking about the defensive ability of first basemen was because the players in question were first basemen.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Crazy Li, you have a very different reading of Slug's post directly above mine then. Either that or you didn't read it, and just claimed no one did.

For reference:

My personal opinion - Stockpile the bats.

I am definately a "moneyball" leaning owner, preferring offense over defense because the stats show it to be more valuable (and scarce). But even if you are kind of in the middle of the road about this, I feel like most players in broken bat also prefer bats, meaning they will be much more scarce. I think, if you really needed to find a defensive 1st basemen, you could find one for cheap on the free agent market sooner or later. Or, if you want one for the long term, there are A TON of 12 POT prospects on the free agent market who are there simply because they won't be able to hit, similar to Logan.

I would HIGHLY suggest keeping Castillo is you are set on cutting one of them.

Edit: A good option for a defensive 1st basemen would be this guy. He is two years older than Logan, projected to be a better fielder, better POT, and he is a free agent. I might drop Logan and pick him up.

When I read "stockpile the bats" by itself, unqualified and then a second paragraph that doesn't mention the 1st base position being a possible outlier in not needing defense I tend to think they are generalizing.

Updated Monday, April 13 2015 @ 7:17:47 pm PDT
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I read it as him saying he prefers offense to defense, not that he was using first base's defensive impact to make a statement about defense at any other position or defense in general.

Maybe I'm wrong though.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I read it the same as you Crazy Li.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Perhaps it was my intent that I left unclear, the thread was discussing 1B then he says that he prefers offense over defense, I actually happen to agree as I prefer offense over defense at 1B. I don't prefer offense to defense at other positions though.

I was wrong, Slug wasn't generalizing off of 1B, though he was generalizing while discussing 1B. Thus I guess I am going more for a cautionary note here, not to do it more so than say anyone has done it.

Previous Page | Show All |