Help

Forum >> Help >> Ratings vs Actual Stats   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Ace

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've read a lot of talk about players ratings on the boards. Specifically SI and POT and how they progress or get hindered. How about actual player stats. Is anyone taking them into account? Do some of you have bad stats and good ratings or good stats and bad ratings? Just wondering.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I've goofed around in Excel trying to find correlations between player skills or combinations of players and actual stats. Some correlations are better than others, but even the best are fairly weak. (I just look at my own players, so sample size isn't big).

So yes, player skills give you an idea of performance, but players can certainly overshoot or undershoot expectations.

Personally, skills and potential get you on the team, but actual performance gets your spot in the line-up.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I definitely look at the stats. Some players consistently under perform. Others consistently over perform. There are hidden variable for the players that we can't see. From what I've seen, I'm guessing that some of these hidden variables include Trajectory, Clutch, Steal Aggression, and Durability. So if I have a power hitter who keeps hitting into double plays, maybe he has bad trajectory and bad clutch. Just like IRL, I think you really need to watch performance in this game to judge your players.

Granted I was only at LL-5 last year, but here is an example of a POT 11 guy who has been doing really well for me.

Conversely, a POT 14 who is close to losing his job.

I look at past performance on waiver players too. If he did bad at LL-1 I might still give him a shot. But if that 118 SI guy has been doing poorly at LL-6 I'm not touching him.

I recently dropped this fully developed 118 SI guy. He was making way to much money for middling performance (plus a weak arm for SS).

Updated Wednesday, April 1 2015 @ 10:09:01 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve has said in the past that there are hidden values (steal ability is one that has been identified), due to these values we can't see you would need a fairly large sample to come up with the rough correlation of SI to actual stats on the average player as well as the variance. I just don't have the sort of ambition to undertake that project, though I do have access to SPSS to run it if I had the data to run.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Like Seca said, potential gets you on the team. I look for that more in younger players.

In looking at 27+ year olds, past stats are the deciding factor. I have 12 pot guys who anchor the heart of my lineup. I'd much rather have that 11 pot guy with a .360 OBP than the 13 pot guy who just doesn't seem to get it. I don't and shouldn't need to be patient with those guys. I'm playing to win.

It's like real life. Some guys have the tools to succeed but for some reason or another they don't pan out.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I feel it is worth adding that we've been told there isn't regression to mean.

So a player's actual performance depends on:
- his skills (both displayed and hidden)
- opponent skills
- environment (ballpark, weather, ...)
- random

Since there isn't regression to mean, random can cause a player to over or under-perform their skill set.

I think PrivateSnowFlake's post is well said. Performance after a few seasons is a good metric. But (IMO) you want to be careful you have a big enough sample size to exclude a bad stretch of luck.
Ace

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Good Stuff guys... Thanks for the input! I have seen guys with big SI and/or POT that have below what I thought they would have in stats. I have also seen players with lower SI and/or POT that have higher stats.

Thanks again for your input! And anyone else that wants to respond!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, the goal is to have a certain amount of uncertainty that just looking at the player skills isn’t sufficient to evaluate a player. A lot of online games have a much greater level of certainty in player evaluation, but I think that’s unlike the real world.

Recent statistics are probably the best indicator of future production – although they can also be misleading with rapidly improving youngsters.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The uncertainty is one of the things that makes this game really good.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I second Seca's analysis.
I'd like to add, also, that POT (or SI, it depends on what you're weighing) could express in some weird and dysfunctional combination.
I mean, some pitchers with very high defensive values, some pitchers who lack control, some hitters with high speed and no inclination for stealing, some hitters with power/speed combo but not enough contact skills.
On the other hand, might be succesful, even with lower POTs, pitchers without dominating stuff but pitchability or hitters completely without defensive ability.

Previous Page | Show All |